problem with oc'ing

mammikoura

Golden Master
I have this little problem when oc'ing my vid card. The oc'ing utility works fine and oc'ing boosts my 3dMark03 score etc.

BUT, the problem is that I can only oc ~10MHz core and 0MHz memory. I could oc more, but then my benchmark performance (and I'm guessing game performance too) get's lower than what it was before oc'ing.

1st I tought it was the heat, but even when oc'd (and idle) the core temp is 38-41C, which doesn't seem high at all. In the middle of aquamark3 48C. These temps provided by nvidia display.

So what can I do? Maybe increasing the voltage would help? If so then how do I do it? I don't want to spend any money on it since I'm probably going to get a new vid card soon since this one is old.

Oh almost forgot, the card is nVidia GeForce FX 5700 (256mb)

ohh my memory sucks.
Sooo, any other tips in getting better performance out of my card are welcome.

99nasha said:
Are you using cool bits for overclocking?

Well I use nvTweak, but it's actually coolbits with some added functions.
Also tried powerstrip, same results.

It's regular for your card to reach a max at which there is a point to overclocking.
I was reading about it somewhere where there's a certain point where overclocking your card causes a drop in performance.

+1, you can't go on forever, and maybe your memory is already running close to it's max. You can increase the voltage by doing some hard mods, this involves soldering etc. Just search FX 5700 volt mod in google.

I have this little problem when oc'ing my vid card. The oc'ing utility works fine and oc'ing boosts my 3dMark03 score etc.

BUT, the problem is that I can only oc ~10MHz core and 0MHz memory. I could oc more, but then my benchmark performance (and I'm guessing game performance too) get's lower than what it was before oc'ing.

1st I tought it was the heat, but even when oc'd (and idle) the core temp is 38-41C, which doesn't seem high at all. In the middle of aquamark3 48C. These temps provided by nvidia display.

So what can I do? Maybe increasing the voltage would help? If so then how do I do it? I don't want to spend any money on it since I'm probably going to get a new vid card soon since this one is old.

Oh almost forgot, the card is nVidia GeForce FX 5700 (256mb)

ohh my memory sucks.
Sooo, any other tips in getting better performance out of my card are welcome.

google "OCing a <insert card name here>" and read up on what others have been doing...

Yeah, definitely do some research on your card, and just see how well it OC's.

But seriously, once you get some money you def. need to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom