Problem with new widescreen LCD!

CalBearsJase07

Solid State Member
Hi all, I'm new...

I have a Sony VAIO Z1VA laptop with an integrated ATI Mobility Radeon graphics card that only has 16mb VRAM.

I just purchased an LG 19" widescreen flat panel and have hooked it up with the VGA cable (no DVI plug). but there's a problem: my computer won't allow me to select a widescreen resolution of 1440x900. It will only let me do 1440x1050, which makes everything look squished.

I called LG's tech support and they said my graphics card needs FIRMWARE upgrade. But ATI refused to give me any customer support.

1) Is this correct, do I need a firmware upgrade in order for my computer to give me the option to do 1440x900?

2) THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: WHERE do I GET such firmware upgrades for my graphics card? Because it's a shitty, integrated card, can I not get one??

Someone help me find the upgrade I need to run the correct resolution! Thanks.

j.venning said:
Have you got the latest drivers etc?

What is the full name and model of the graphics card?

it's simply called the ATI Mobility Radeon. I installed the updated drivers available on Sony's website for my computer, so the drivers for my video card and monitor should both be current.

Tech support said "firmware"... and I'm not exactly sure how firmware is different from drivers, but how could I get upgraded firmware to make this work?

Thanks!

First, what operating system are you running?

Second, if you can, try to get the model name. It's not just ATI Mobility Radeon. It's ATI Mobility Radeon X800 or X1600 etc.

I have an LG aswell, doesnt yours have an Autoset button which detects the best resolution by itself?

i have a sony vaio Z1VA... nowhere on the computers specs can i find anything that says anything other than "mobility radeon"... there isn't an extension like x800 or anything like that listed.. so i dont know...

CalBearsJase07 said:
i have a sony vaio Z1VA... nowhere on the computers specs can i find anything that says anything other than "mobility radeon"... there isn't an extension like x800 or anything like that listed.. so i dont know...

try running DXdiag and see what it says under siplay

or try running a prgram such as everest and it will tell you everything you could possibly want on your graphics adapter

LambOfGod said:
try running DXdiag and see what it says under siplay

or try running a prgram such as everest and it will tell you everything you could possibly want on your graphics adapter

chip type: MOBILITY RADEON AGP (0x4C59)

Back
Top Bottom