Problem with new heatsink.

Kamikaze275

Solid State Member
Ok, so I just bought the 6400+ 3.2GHZ, which runs at 125W, rather than the average 65W. I only had my single core stock cooler which I put on there, just to check what it would run at. It was running at like 70 degrees idle, so I shut it down and decided not to take any chances. So I ordered a top of the line copper heatsink/fan. Found at this link: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835887002
I got it installed and it runs fine, but its idle temp is like 35 degrees, when I think it should be like 15-25. The thermal paste I ordered is very sticky so it doesnt spread well, but I think I applied enough. I dont know which direction in my case the fan is supposed to face for optimal performance, but the only way it fit on my motherboard is with the fan facing up towards my RAM/Power Supply. It wont fit with the fan vertical, because the motherboard has copper tubing that gets in the way of the copper heatsink. So is it because its so close to the power supply, facing up? Because the thermal paste was so thick it doesnt spread out well? Should it be facing a different direction(not possible on my board)? The fact that my CPU used double the wattage of a normal CPU? Or all these combined? I don't know. Any tips/hints/suggestions are appreciated.

Firstly, 35c is a good CPU temperature. If you can get your CPU to 15c I'll eat my hat.
The fan should be on the side of the heatsink that faces towards the front of the case and it should blow the air out of the heatsink toward the rear outtake fan. I don't really know what to do about the chipset cooling getting in the way. But don't worry about your temps, they're very good.

Ah my friend had his CPU running at 4 degrees as a low. The motherboard I have like I said wont permit me to blow the air from my heatsink to my rear outtake fan, so the fan is facing up, blowing air down through the heatsink onto the video card. When I have CoD4 running, my CPU runs at like 50 degrees, which I dont like it that high. It worries me.

50c for a CPU is fine. The borderline where you should start getting worried is 60c. Don't feel worried about it. And BTW, the program your friend used to read his CPU temps is wrong (which can sometimes happen with temp reading software, Speedfan is the worst culprit). Tell him to check in the BIOS for his CPU temps. Then he'll get the true reading. Check your video card temps as well, as long as they are below 80c underload then you're fine. Video cards can withstand much high temps than CPUs. As long as you have a rear outtake fan that's sucking all that hot air that's being blown onto the video card away, then I would have thought your chassis temps would be at a reasonable level.

A little bit off topic, but I downloaded a videocard overclocking program- and I was checking it again, just to look at the temps, make sure everything is okay, and somehow I managed to OC my video card by 2ghz by accident, I have no idea how.

So, 5 minutes later I get this warning: "YOUR VIDEO CARD IS RUNNING AT 135C"

xD I'm surprised it still works fine.

A warship said, it should face the front of the case to intact air, and blow out the back.

Yeah, thats what program it was too, haha speed fan. I use AI Booster, the one that came with my ASUS motherboard, I trust it a lot more than anything else I could find. Also, with new processors and heatsinks, you have whats called "a break-in period", where it takes like 200 hours for the thermal paste to heat up and spread out to achieve maximum results with it, which should drop it by 2C-5C, I'm guessing the main reason I'm not running really cool is because of the fact that like I said my processor is putting out 125W, which is double the average...

Back
Top Bottom