Problem with my new power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetus

In Runtime
I just installed a new power supply in my supposedely proprietary Dell Optiplex GX620 and it's acting kinda funny. The actual power supply that I got to replace the stock Dell psu doesn't even fit perfectly into the case, it's actually a bit longer and slimmer but the screws aligned and i was able to attach it without any additional problems. The power supply appears to be working and it is definately giving my video card the extra wattage it desperately needs to perform up to its potential. It's kind of hard to explain or pinpoint exactly what has happened to my computer since I've installed the new psu but it can't be good. Basically, everything just seems a bit laggy(opening and closing applications, even web browsers). Could there be a problem with this new setup?

Here's the power supply that I got to replace the proprietary Dell one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817154015

What are your system specs? All I can say is stay away from cheap power supplies. However, the issue may be something else entirely.

P4 3.4GHZ
Some Foxconn Mobo
1 gig of ram(4x 256 I think)
48x CD-R
CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Windows Xp Pro Sp2
6800GT nVidia GeForce

you can't just upgrade a PSU like this. It doesn't really fit because their case is way too small. Second, Dell made their special designed PSU for this. It might be an inverted wire from the original that is not inverted in yours that could make this. Also, Dells does everything so you can't upgrade it

yeah what he said ^^ also hate to be stating hte ovious, updated drivers for your new graphics card?

lhuser said:
you can't just upgrade a PSU like this. It doesn't really fit because their case is way too small. Second, Dell made their special designed PSU for this. It might be an inverted wire from the original that is not inverted in yours that could make this. Also, Dells does everything so you can't upgrade it

So you're saying that one of the wires in the connecter could be of a different wattage than the Dell power supply? So I'm just lucky that it didn't simply fry the power supply and/or the mobo? In that case, do you think it's still relatively safe to do this? Apparently, this other kid who has my exact same computer(Optiplex GX620) with the same case and everything. He put the exact power supply that I just bought into his Dell and it has worked fine for the past month or so.

Fetus....what type of power supply are you using?.....i have a gx620 as well and want to add a high powered video card.....can't seem to find a psu cause dell sux

Well, the thread is old, so he's probably been solved. For your case, Call Dell and ask if they ship PSUs.

Sooo...*thread closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom