problem with macaffe personal firewall!

danagol

Baseband Member
hi, i have got a dell inspiron 1300 about 5 months ago now and it came with a certian ammount of time of free mcaffe security center. however, the program files for this got corrupted for some reason and now i am unable to uninstall the corrupted firewall. worst thing is that i left it set to on, and although the program itself does not work, the firewall still does. i cant even delete the program files as i do not have the privilages to, (i only have one account on my computer and it is me btw). the reason it is so bad is because when i try to set up a network, if other pc's try to view my shared folders. even though i have given them permission they are unable to get past my firewall! what can i do?

(i have tried to contact macaffe, but that was no use what so ever, and i have tried many different ways to delete and uninstall the program) any help is well needed! many thanks, dan.

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to uninstall it? If not, try that. Also, if you have Norton SystemWorks, try using Norton CleanSweep to uninstall the program. I use that program sometimes when the program goes corrupt and the uninstall can't find the files to uninstall the program. Try that, if you have SystemWorks.

Edit>>> Also try this shareware program. Not exactly sure if it will delete programs, but if you delete the program manually through Windows Explorer, it will delete it out of Add/Remove Programs. here's the link:
http://www.freshee.info/deleting_invalid_entries_25101.html

if none of what jervin said works for you, you should have the dell system restore to use as a last resort (F-11). back up all your data, restore your system which should fix the mcafee problem, then you can uninstall it if you wish.

Thanks, thebigdintz. I agree that Sys Restore should be used as a last resort. Only use it if nothing works that I told you, safe mode or otherwise. Let me know if any of that works. Be advised though, that Norton SystemWorks has a small pricetag on it for an older version through somebody like Amazon. If you get it new through a retailer, it could easily cost $60-$70, so watch out.

To expand on the Safe Mode method:

Go into Safe Mode, by pressing F8 at load up and selecting Safe Mode. Then try and uninstall it. If not, just try deleting the files in Safe Mode and going into "msconfig" (type that in without the quotes in Run) and deselecting it as one of the Startup programs.

also, if you dare to mess with the registry (don't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing because you can screw the computer up), you could always go into the registry and try deleting all entries related to mcafee. click on start, run, type in regedit, under edit, click find, put in "mcafee" and click search......delete what it finds, and hit F3 to search for the next mcafee entry.

back up your data first if you are going to try this,,,,you can always restore the computer using F-11 if you mess it up.

many thanks for all of your help, however nothing still seems to work, i will give that link a try that i got in my first reply.... wish me luck... i will tell you how it goes!

prosser13 said:
To expand on the Safe Mode method:

Go into Safe Mode, by pressing F8 at load up and selecting Safe Mode. Then try and uninstall it. If not, just try deleting the files in Safe Mode and going into "msconfig" (type that in without the quotes in Run) and deselecting it as one of the Startup programs.

Also, since the program won't be launched in Safe Mode, try uninstalling it manually. Check out this site under the heading "Notes for manual uninstall"
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm

thebigdintx said:
if none of what jervin said works for you, you should have the dell system restore to use as a last resort (F-11). back up all your data, restore your system which should fix the mcafee problem, then you can uninstall it if you wish.

i wish to know exactly what this will do... will it destroy alll of my data? also will it un-corrupt (if possible) the uninstall files?
also finally what is the chance that this will be successful?

danagol said:
i wish to know exactly what this will do... will it destroy alll of my data? also will it un-corrupt (if possible) the uninstall files?
also finally what is the chance that this will be successful?

Dell's F-11 system restore will allow you to restore your computer back to the exact way it was when you first got it. You will have to re-install any programs you have added since then, and you will loose whatever data you have on stored your computer (photos, music, etc....so back them up first to cd's or dvd's).

here's the info link on dell's site... http://support.dell.com/support/top...7E7957E35BBC0E030A68F27280D16&c=us&l=en&s=gen

Back
Top Bottom