Problem with installing XP on new HDD!!!

exc20002001

Beta member
Hey there guys, new first post here nice to meet ya's!

I successfully installed a new harddrive into my computer and had xp installed fine. I then started installing new drivers for all my hardware components and everything was going fine. But then i installed a new Nvidia driver, an update to my old 7600GT and i couldnt proceed because it needed SP1 for XP.

I then got my next XP disc out, legitimate version this :eek: which had SP2 as well on it. I proceeded to simply upgrade (its recommended and i had already installed XP why not?), and halfway through for some reason or another it wouldnt let me proceed saying some XP files were missing which i found odd.

Anyway upon continuing I found that in installation it stopped me from upgrading my windows, saying that i needed 190.something-rather Nvidia driver executiable (goodness knows why???) and that it cant proceed without it. It of course is nowhere to be found on my computer, in fact I never kept it because I couldnt install it till after SP1 was installed? If i cancel it wont continue installing and after trying to find the file via cd (via the browsing option it gives me) i also am not able to access the cd... Only the HDD with nothing on it is accessible...

I cant access MS DOS, and trying to restart my computer normally to get back into windows wont work becuase it keeps restarting the installation process.... I cant access the bios because i was silly enough to put a password i cant remember on it... and trying to boot up vista wont even work! It will continually keep sending me back to the stupid XP setup screen and continue installing... of course which always goes nowhere without that nvidia file who goodness knows why i need...

Bit long winded my apologies, but can anybody help.. Otherwise its another day at the local computer store which i dont have time for :(

Hey there guys, new first post here nice to meet ya's!

I successfully installed a new harddrive into my computer and had xp installed fine. I then started installing new drivers for all my hardware components and everything was going fine. But then i installed a new Nvidia driver, an update to my old 7600GT and i couldnt proceed because it needed SP1 for XP.

I then got my next XP disc out, legitimate version this :eek: which had SP2 as well on it. I proceeded to simply upgrade (its recommended and i had already installed XP why not?), and halfway through for some reason or another it wouldnt let me proceed saying some XP files were missing which i found odd.

Anyway upon continuing I found that in installation it stopped me from upgrading my windows, saying that i needed 190.something-rather Nvidia driver executiable (goodness knows why???) and that it cant proceed without it. It of course is nowhere to be found on my computer, in fact I never kept it because I couldnt install it till after SP1 was installed? If i cancel it wont continue installing and after trying to find the file via cd (via the browsing option it gives me) i also am not able to access the cd... Only the HDD with nothing on it is accessible...

I cant access MS DOS, and trying to restart my computer normally to get back into windows wont work becuase it keeps restarting the installation process.... I cant access the bios because i was silly enough to put a password i cant remember on it... and trying to boot up vista wont even work! It will continually keep sending me back to the stupid XP setup screen and continue installing... of course which always goes nowhere without that nvidia file who goodness knows why i need...

Bit long winded my apologies, but can anybody help.. Otherwise its another day at the local computer store which i dont have time for :(

You should have installed WINXP SP3 before the drivers.

I would recommend resetting your BIOS password and doing a format and fresh install with the XP SP2 Disk.

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

How to do a proper Format and Reinstall of windows XP (by Lamb of God)

1. Power on your PC and Insert the XP CD
2. Set your boot order in BIOS to CD-ROM first (Usually Del or F1 or F2 to get into BIOS)
3. When you see the press any key screen *press a key *

4. Files will start to load from the CD to begin the installation. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to install Windows XP. No need to type an essay here on why you've made the decision to do the installation. Just hit Enter.

5. Next is the End User License Agreement Press F8 to accept

6. The next screen displays the available partitions where XP can be installed. Select the one you want and tap that Enter key again to move on to the screen where you select a file system.

7. It's time for that important decision. FAT32 versus NTFS. The preferred choice is NTFS. It allows Security features and stability that aren't possible with FAT32. You will most likely want to stick with NTFS.

8. Setup continues and eventually the computer will reboot. Watch the onscreen prompts but do not press a key when the “Press any key to boot CD” message appears.

9. Installation will continue, prompting you from time to time to supply some additional setup information. Feed the prompts with appropriate responses and eventually another reboot will occur, this time bringing you back into Windows XP, depositing you at the Windows Activation screen.

10. You can either activate your copy of XP now or delay the activation for up to 30 days, after 30 days you get denied access to the desktop.

11. The last step is to enter a username and watch the XP desktop appear, ready for use. And Bam your good to go.

Good Luck, LambofGod

Back
Top Bottom