Problem with HD, VIDEO or MOBO?

Enix82

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, new to the board nice to meet you all.

I have an AMD 64 3200, 754 socket system. Abit k8n mobo. I have a 160gb WD hardrive that is connected via IDE and a leadtek 256mb AGP card. This build is going on 4 years old and the northbridge fan has been dead for about 2 years. My video card's fan has also been acting up.

NOW THE PROBLEM. I usually leave my computer on but my wife turned it off the other night. When it was turned back on it made one of the bad POST beeping noises. The POST code it was left on was not in the user's manual. It went through BIOS and began checkdisk and it repaired orphaned files. It restarted and hung up before windows load. Now it shows a black screen...it wont even run the BIOS.

I turn the power on, it runs the POST. I hit the power button and all the fans activate and it checks the DVD optical drive, then it keeps quiet for a lil bit before beeping. I am unable to see anything on the screen.

I thought the problem may be the harddrive because that is next on my start up succession after checking the DVD. I took it out and inspected it, seems fine. I took it to my wife's old emachine comp and tried to make it SINGLE. It runs through the BIOS fine and it recognizes the HD in the BIOS; however, it says windows has encountered a problem and offers the usual solutions: safe mode, safe mode in etc, safe mode in etc, start windows using last normal config... NONE WORK.

Not knowing the exact jumper settings for the HD emachine, i went ahead and switched suspect HD's jumper to slave. The bios recognized them as Master/Slave and booted windows. I tried accessing the suspect HD through MY COMPUTER and it says it was inaccessible because it may be corrupt. I dont know if this is because the MASTER jumper from the emachine HD is not configured properly...I can not find any documentation to show me. It's single setting is 3,4 and 7,8.

Its a long post but I wanna know what is wrong and I really want my data from the HD. I have my newborn baby's pics in there :( I'm going to take the HD out of the emachine and put it in the other comp to see if I can get anythign out of it. It may be a mobo prob as well... who kinows!

What amount of beeps did you get? Also worth pointing out that the fans are there for a reason and should have been sorted a long time ago, before it came to this. Also if you can POST the computer then ya should be to enter the BIOS, how have you been trying to get into the BIOS? If you want the data off your HDD, then ya should be to get it by connecting it as a slave to the other pc. And if that doesnt work then use a recovery program like getdataback.

Its a constant beep. Its not a set number. When I say POST, I'm referring to the LCD display on the mobo. When I power it up it shows 0.2 before I actually hit the power on button. After that the lcd cycles thru and the comp checks the connection to my DVD, after that it SHOULD go to my HD. It is starting the beeps after I see the green DVD power light. My monitor shows a completely black screen. The monitor is fine.

Have you tried using the chkdsk switch in dos to check the disk and chkdsk /f and/or chkdsk /r to fix/repair while slaved in the emachine?

Well, I got the hard drive working as a slave in the back up comp...so its not the hard drive;however, check disk had to be ran and it located a lot of corrupt files. Could a mobo crash have caused this in the HD?

I couldn't tell you ... though it wouldn't surprise me. Corrupted files on your hard drive definitely could prevent you from booting into XP or accessing the drive while slaved. However, I doubt the corrupt files are what's causing the POST beeps. That would lead me to believe it's hardware related ... especially since you've stated you have had issues with fans.

Any success with chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r?

Enix82 said:
Well, I got the hard drive working as a slave in the back up comp...so its not the hard drive;however, check disk had to be ran and it located a lot of corrupt files. Could a mobo crash have caused this in the HD?

A Hard drive will not cause a computer NOT TO POST.

You will have video/ even if your hard drive is bad.

1. Boot the drive on your wifes PC. Working drive as master (booting the OS) offending drive as slave

2. run CHKDSK /F on the offending drive.

3.If you cant gain access to the drive, use the utility getdataback

good luck

LambOfGod said:
A Hard drive will not cause a computer NOT TO POST.

You will have video/ even if your hard drive is bad.

1. Boot the drive on your wifes PC. Working drive as master (booting the OS) offending drive as slave

2. run CHKDSK /F on the offending drive.

3.If you cant gain access to the drive, use the utility getdataback

good luck

Isn't this basically a rehash of what's already been suggested? Read a little more closely and you'll see that I stated that a corrupt HD will prevent a pc from BOOTING into XP, .... NOT prevent it from POST'ing. There's a difference.

CrossCech said:
Isn't this basically a rehash of what's already been suggested? Read a little more closely and you'll see that I stated that a corrupt HD will prevent a pc from BOOTING into XP, .... NOT prevent it from POST'ing. There's a difference.

What i am doing in my post is throwing the Cold Hard Facts out there so this guy can get the data off his Harddrive.

in an easy to understand order.

and as far as booting and posting go i'm sure you may understand but this user may not, i am reiterating this so it will be more clear to the user.

LoG ... I can appreciate the efforts you made. Just gets old seeing fellow members literally repeat what's already been said as if it is new information. Maybe I give a guy like the originator of this thread too much credit in understanding what I'm talking about. Got to admit though, by the detailed description of what Enix82 first posted, that he comes off understanding what POST is and booting into the system OS, and the difference.

But then what's more frustrating is when the person who asks for help never returns to report success or failure in trying the suggestions offered. Argh!! :)

Back
Top Bottom