problem with computer freezing/restarting

samsus

Beta member
This is my first time posting here. I'm one of those people who likes to read forums, but doesnt post as often, just soaking in info.

A computer i built for a friend is starting to freeze and restart (sometimes it freezes and somethimes it just restarts). It is two years old, excpet the PS is three years old. The motherboard is AsRock and the PS is one in an Enlight case (i can get exact models if that helps). I know there is tons of junk on it, spyware, random crap installed that doesnt need to be there. Honestly, I dont understand how some people get so much garbage on their computer. This happens alot on my friends comps and I usually just do a backup and reformat for them, to give them a clean slate. But I have yet to encounter constant restarts and freezes.

I am going to reformat it this weekend, but I was wondering if the issue behind the problem could be either the PS or MB. If I need to buy them, I must do so before I leave (person lives about 3 hours away in a small town, prolly no hardware I can buy there) and they need their computer to work for the next two weeks after this. I was wondering if I should just buy the comps (Im pretty sure if either is going bad it would be the PS) and take them down with me and replace them.

Also, I told them to take off the side of their case to see if the proc fan was running, which it is, so I know its not the proc overheating (has a 80 mm all copper flower by zalman on it), but they said it was very dusty. Im going to clean this out as well, but maybe this is contributing to the cause.

One of my friends has the same case/PS and has had it over 4 years and it is still going. This kid constantly plays video games and digital graphix, while the person with this freezing/restarting problem only uses the computer for word proc/internet or other likewise apps.

Thank you for your time and input in this matter.

man, My cpu;s heatsink had a layer of thick dust, Went like 3 days without a pc, until i got around to cleening it, But Yeah, It dident like it, but never beeped, and autoturned off and just froze,
Then worked perfect after, So that could be a possible problem

samsus said:
....... but they said it was very dusty. Im going to clean this out as well, but maybe this is contributing to the cause........
This is the cause of 99% of this type of problem, take a small brush (to loosen the dust) and a can of air (to blow out the case)

thanks for the replies and info. I decided just to buy a antec 380w truepower2 ps as well. It will be much quieter then what they have now at least (im always worried about noise in computers). When i built the computer i was doing it on the cheap (built it as a high school graduation present, and had a 2.8 p4 800 fsb, plextor cd burner, enlight case/ps just sitting around as well) and left that PS in to save budget, but all the other fans are quiet allready (zalman heatsink and vantec stealth case fans).

I'll have to find a brush, because ive never actually had to clean dust from the insides of any computers yet, but i did buy some compressed air for it. I've had my computer for three years now, and theres still no dust in it :p

I'm still gonna reformat cuz itll help, its been almost 2 years now.

Again, thanks for the replies. Its alwasy nice to get more perspectives on topics im not totally sure about.

Back
Top Bottom