Problem with CD Burner

frantik97

Baseband Member
Recently I made the mistake of installing two operating systems on the same hard drive, seperate partition however. Since then I have not been able to use my cd burner. So I formatted my hard disk with the thought that this might solve the issue. Well, it has not. I currently have only one operating system installed, win200, but everytime I boot up the machine the bios asks me which operating system to boot? The bios still thinks there are two systems. I tried removing the battery from the bios to reset, that didnt work either. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might resolve this? I'm not certain whether or not flashing the bios might work? I hope it doesnt get to that.

Open the boot.ini file in C: and edit out the one not used. Be careful and edit the correct on or the machine won't boot.Flashing the bios won't do anything about that.

Yeah removing the battery wouldn't work since its not a bios issue.

REMEDY FOR STARTUP:

Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, System.

Then go to the Advanced tab, and where it says Startup and Recovery, hit settings.

Now press the Edit button.

Your system will be set up something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 2000" /fastdetect

All you'd have to do is remove the second or first one there that you don't need.
You'd then simply have to change the default one at the top where it says "partition(x)" (x = the partition number), to the one you have left, e.g 2.
Then save it to stop this coming up again.

If you don't know which one you formatted and so if you pressed it, windows would fail to load, rename both of them in the "" brackets so you'd know which is which, and restart and check which one you go on. Then go back to that and delete the appropiate one.

CDROM DRIVE:

As for your cd rom drive not working, open up the computer and check it is installed correctly. That the power cable is in all the way, and that the IDE cable going into it is secured, and the same for the connection on the motherboard it goes to (usually IDE1).

Does it recognise it in bios though when its booting up and finding the drives? if it does, at least you know it is connected and it is windows fault, though I dont see how it can be since you've reformatted.

If it doesn't recognise it, just check the option above for any loose connections and hopefully you'll have a working system again!

I hope this helps :)

I apoligize for being so troublesome but I did as you suggested and within the advanced tab I hit start up and recovery however there is no settings key. It does list the default operating system and even has the other listed if you so choose, but within this tab I have found no settings key as you suggested. I am running Win 2000 Pro. Thanks.

Okay then :p A simple way of doing the same thing then which i just figured out is going to Start, Settings, Run.

Type:

c:\boot.ini

Then follow the instructions :) Hope this helps (I have Windows XP PRO you see and I thought that bit might have been the same on that bit. Sorry about that)

The cd burner is not working yet but at least during the boot sequence the bios only reckognizes one operating system. I will make sure that the cables are hooked up correctly and see if that works. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

simoesf said:
The cd burner is not working yet but at least during the boot sequence the bios only reckognizes one operating system. I will make sure that the cables are hooked up correctly and see if that works. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
Format the hd that shouldn't boot Window unless it's C drive,
Is it ? Bios should be set as A C SCSI.
But i can't connect this to burning cd's though.Why do you And everyone else ?

If you are comfortable editting the registry try this.
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

per said:
If you are comfortable editting the registry try this.
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.
Does that get the burner working or what cure is it ?
Quote Topic again,
But i can't connect this to burning cd's though.Why do you And everyone else ?
Why not address the topic ?
Why am i being ignored,it's pretty damn obvious. :( :eek: :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom