Probably a crazy idea...

foothead

Omnicide now.
Does anyone know of a 3D pool simulation that uses mouse movements (speed, direction) as input, instead of arrow keys and the mouse button?

I wanted to use a trackball (can someone recommend one that is very precise?) and either pop in a rubber ball (if it is manual) or build some sort of device on it (if it is optical)

the idea is so I can slide a pool cue along the top of the trackball, and use the game to practice.

Btw I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, it could be in software, hardware, or modding so I just picked hardware.

I thought you said you bought a real pool table? Why would you use a computer game to practice? Use your table. It doesn't matter how good the game is it is not the same angles and bounce as a real table and will be no help whatsoever. Also you can't learn how to spin a cue ball on a video game. It would probably make your game worse actually.

Well my parents are divorced, so I can only use the table when I am at my dad's house. I mainly thought this would be a cool project, and wanted to give it a try.

Just critiquing not tryin to bash, but that seems very unprecise/accurate to any sort of pool.. And what if you hit your pool stick on your monitor? ouch! lol

Seems like a cool simulation idea.. Ive played pool games where you use the mouse, dont remember what they were called though.

Tell me if you get this working, maybe make a youtube video this seems cool, but sounds like a lot of work.

I would guess theres some sort of programs out there to help pro's with their cueing.

However, your going to struggle 'rolling' a cue over the top of a ball. Or even having sensors in a ball that you hit, as it wont be able to tell you how much to move your feet, to poisiton your body / arms. how far to move the cue etc etc.

Sounds like it could be fun to try and create, and you could use it as a trial and error program (like 'if i hit it this hard, the ball does this, if i hit it same speed, but here it does this..) etc etc but Im guessing your game wouldnt improve noticebly.

does it really matter if the game or sliding the cue over the ball is unaccurate or hard? he wants to just try it out, like thousands of other people wanting to try new things out

unfortunately i dont have any slightest isnight on the matter sorry

The only problem I foresee is being able to practice shots using backwards english because I figure the the bottom of the ball would be covered up. Cool idea, though.

The only problem I foresee is being able to practice shots using backwards english because I figure the the bottom of the ball would be covered up. Cool idea, though.

There will be a lot more to it than just sliding the cue. The only reason I said that is because iy would be easier to understand than if I went in-depth with this. I was actually thinking about a way to strike an actual cue ball (I have a spare set) and make that control it, but there are a few kinks to iron out.

Simple first though. I am gonna see what I can do as far as rolling the cue, then move on from there.

Back
Top Bottom