Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Omnicide now.

Default Probably a crazy idea...

Does anyone know of a 3D pool simulation that uses mouse movements (speed, direction) as input, instead of arrow keys and the mouse button?

I wanted to use a trackball (can someone recommend one that is very precise?) and either pop in a rubber ball (if it is manual) or build some sort of device on it (if it is optical)

the idea is so I can slide a pool cue along the top of the trackball, and use the game to practice.

Btw I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, it could be in software, hardware, or modding so I just picked hardware.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Probably a crazy idea...

You could just go to a billiard and practice? That's what I used to do on Sundays.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
Omnicide now.

I know, but I think this would be a lot easier. I think I might have found the game I need also.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Site Team

I thought you said you bought a real pool table? Why would you use a computer game to practice? Use your table. It doesn't matter how good the game is it is not the same angles and bounce as a real table and will be no help whatsoever. Also you can't learn how to spin a cue ball on a video game. It would probably make your game worse actually.

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Omnicide now.

Well my parents are divorced, so I can only use the table when I am at my dad's house. I mainly thought this would be a cool project, and wanted to give it a try.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to SPuNKYbd Send a message via MSN to SPuNKYbd Send a message via Yahoo to SPuNKYbd Send a message via Skype™ to SPuNKYbd

Just critiquing not tryin to bash, but that seems very unprecise/accurate to any sort of pool.. And what if you hit your pool stick on your monitor? ouch! lol

Seems like a cool simulation idea.. Ive played pool games where you use the mouse, dont remember what they were called though.

Tell me if you get this working, maybe make a youtube video this seems cool, but sounds like a lot of work.
SPuNKYbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
In Runtime

I would guess theres some sort of programs out there to help pro's with their cueing.

However, your going to struggle 'rolling' a cue over the top of a ball. Or even having sensors in a ball that you hit, as it wont be able to tell you how much to move your feet, to poisiton your body / arms. how far to move the cue etc etc.

Sounds like it could be fun to try and create, and you could use it as a trial and error program (like 'if i hit it this hard, the ball does this, if i hit it same speed, but here it does this..) etc etc but Im guessing your game wouldnt improve noticebly.
Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

does it really matter if the game or sliding the cue over the ball is unaccurate or hard? he wants to just try it out, like thousands of other people wanting to try new things out

unfortunately i dont have any slightest isnight on the matter sorry
6950 flashed to 6970 Oc:880cpu 1300memory,2x2gb ddr3 1066,phenomII x4 955 3.2ghz,Tuniq hsf,750w psu,1tb f2 32mb 7200rpm,2tb f4 64mb 7200rpm,cyborg V7, cyborg V3, X-fi creative sounfblaster, Audiophile M-audio,Xclio-windtunnel,Tb7300 graphics tablet
madanchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

The only problem I foresee is being able to practice shots using backwards english because I figure the the bottom of the ball would be covered up. Cool idea, though.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
The only problem I foresee is being able to practice shots using backwards english because I figure the the bottom of the ball would be covered up. Cool idea, though.
There will be a lot more to it than just sliding the cue. The only reason I said that is because iy would be easier to understand than if I went in-depth with this. I was actually thinking about a way to strike an actual cue ball (I have a spare set) and make that control it, but there are a few kinks to iron out.

Simple first though. I am gonna see what I can do as far as rolling the cue, then move on from there.