Printing Google Earth pics

Brookfield

Golden Master
I understand that in order to print these fully, I have to have software, a disc in fact, without that I am only getting a very narrow strip, 3 - 4 inches wide.
Will I be able to get this in stores such as Staples?

Google Earth has features for saving or printing your current view in GE. The free GE can only save out up to 1000x1000 pixels (or up to your screen size), but GE Pro can save up to 4800x4800 pixels which is good enough for high quality large prints. I've been experimenting with this feature in GE 4 Pro, and the results are stunning. For example, I took this panorama-like screenshot of the 3D buildings of Denver (see the blog entry I wrote about these models). Which you can see by clicking on the picture above through a Picasa Web Album. Once there you select "Download Photo" to see the full resolution (4800x1199 pixels) of this image. The quality of these 3D models with photo textures when zoomed in at full resolution is amazing.

The method GE Pro uses for creating these images is kind of cool. You select the menu choice "File->Print..." or "File->Save ->Save Image..." to initiate the process, then select what resolution you want. With the "Save" option you will get a requester letting you save the results to a JPG file. GE Pro basically uses the same method some photographers use to create "gigapixel" digital camera photos by taking a series of photos in a tile-like fashion of a scene and stitching them together using a panorama-style stitching algorithm. Each "shot" is "exposed" long enough to load the detail of the scene. It's fun to watch - the first few times. I found you can't get too close to a scene with 3D models because the tile-shoot method will actually miss parts of the models when it "zooms" in for each shot.

Take note that you should read the license for GE and GE Pro (search "license" on the GE help page) with regards to prints which says they can be used for "personal use only". You also can not get permission to sell the prints - I asked Google about this.

Had a search and found this, not sure if you use this method already, but. :p

Had a search and found this, not sure if you use this method already, but. :p
Thanks Steff, that's great, good to have a female techie on the team:), hope that does't sound sexist, it wasn't meant that way,I've printed it off for reference, oh, & I have Picasa2 installed, it auto-copies pics from My Pictures, + 1 rep for your help!

Maurice

No problem :) Did it solve your problem or is it still not printing properly?

No problem :) Did it solve your problem or is it still not printing properly?
Haven't had a chance yet, too busy dealing with posts, y'know that it's like, I'm online to CF most days 8am to 10pm, but still get busy with mod duties about one thing & another, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom