Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Beta Member

Angry printer question

I have a question about a printer and surge protection. We have a business, and it just so happens that whenever we get a big lightning storm, our computer system shuts off. We have all of our equipment hooked up to quality surge protectors. Finally now though, the printer has seemed to died after a storm yesterday. Our computers go down way too often now, and now our printer has died. I am almost positive that we aren't getting direct hits from the lightning, but a transformer or something is hit close by. Is there anything that we can do to prevent this from future occurrances? Any suggestions? Thank you.

browning_man9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: printer question

Hmm... you know how surge protector plugs work? Basically when they notice a surge (when lightning strikes, or the transformer) they notice it, and turn off the power before it can cause damage to components connected to the system which is whats happening, as these surges can be very dangerous.

As for stopping it shutting them off, there is something called UPS, which is a battery that stores power, and when it goes from the power supply, it starts drawing power from the special battery.

I dont know where you can buy them i'm afraid, but I'd think they were connected to the PSU (power supply) in some way and so might need a special one.

It would give you time though to turn off your PC, before the power on that goes (should give you a bit of time)

To test if yours already supports it, but its not switched on, go to the Control Panel, and to Power Options. Go to the UPS tab. Are options blanked out or clickable? If they are clickable, you might just have one already on the system ready for use!

I hope this helps

Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

More about Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) and where to get them. These will be ideal for your work conditions. I don't know where you live so here's a lucky dip from Google...

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Edit: typo
Old 06-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

We have UPS's for our front desk at our hotel. When power goes out the UPS immeadiatly kicks in.. The UPS is a smaller one we have give us about 10-15 minutes of computing power. more then enough time to run our emergency reports, print them out and run the hotel under manual power..
BuzzStPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Beta Member

Thank you for all of your advice. I probally will end up buying a UPS. I appreciate all of your help.
browning_man9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

You may be losing your power because of faulty GFI circuits in your building. Talk to a good electrician about that also as it may not be totally necessary to have to purchase the UPS unit(s).
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

yeah a UPS goes between the power point at the PSU in the computer, attached to the same chord i think. theres a piece that goes in there somehow.

neway its pretty handy. my old man had them on his computers at his old work which was always having surges.

-The real criminals are the ones who dont get caught...
-The soldier, above all else prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must bear the wounds and scars of war.
Assassin_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Ah right kewl, glad i helped

Yeah, I had a feeling it would have to be somehow connected to the Power Supply.

At least it would give enough power for the normal power to come back online, where as the UPS would then switch off and probably recharge again