Prime95 Help

That is an awesome chip! Do you still have your HSF blowing towards the top? If you do, then while your reseating it, you might as well lap at the same time.

I don't think you can push it much further without better temps.

That is quite bad Vdroop, yes. I'll look around to see if I can find a pencil mod for your board. All you need is a soft pencil (I used 2B) and a couple of minutes of your time and you can eliminate the Vdroop on your board.

And if you want to check if your sensors are functioning correctly, return to stock setting or underclock your CPU, and then run the "test sensors" test in Realtemp and see how much movement you get.

Regarding the Vdrop. Make sure if u have an option for "Vcore Drop Control" (in ur BIOS) to disable it when you OC.

No hsf is blowing toward back. Will upping my fsb up my temps that much or can I push the fsb and just not use and more volts? I want 4.2!!!

If I reduce vdroop will I get more heat or not. Like say bios is 1.3125 but cpu-z is 1.264. If you had no vdroop would you get more heat, or would you be able to hit higher clocks at lower vcores. aka more efficient power?

At stock real temp sensor test was core0-8 : core 1-7

@@@EDIT@@@

Well its time to play some games. So prime95 is not going to get a fail on this one. 15 hours 46 min at 4.0Ghz. Bios vcore=1.3125. But jeez my temps got high.

1546.jpg

I'm surprised it didn't throttle at 73°C.

you can't do anything about vdrop (the difference between bios and Windows idle) but you may be able to reduce vdroop (the difference between Window idle and Windows load)

What is your vdroop on its own not combined with vdrop as above?

Raising the FSB will not increase your temps greatly (if at all) voltage is the culprit there.

Reducing vdroop will allow you to set higher voltages more safely, e.g. before I pencil modded my board I had to set in excess of 1.4v in the bios to run 4.0GHz, this dropped and drooped down to around 1.35v under load but as soon as load was reduced to idle then the vcore would jump to over 1.4v, too much for me. So in effect you would actually reduce temps by reducing vdroop.

Your sensors are good to go, hot damn you sure got a top chip there.

I don't think you can push it much further without better temps.
This I agree with, by breaking 73°C you've reached the limits of your cooling, remember the thermal spec for your cpu is 72.4°C I wouldn't try any higher without better cooling.

I think I can lower the voltage. I went straight from 1.2500 to 1.3125. I might be able to decrease it, even if i only get 8-12 hrs in prime95.

1.264 - 1.232 Vdroop in cpuz Idle/Load

My ram timing auto 5-6-6-21, I need to work on that. My ram is already running at 890Mhz and its DDR800. That 15:46 was large ffts too. So its stable.

Going to try same settings but 1.3000 vcore and see. If that works Well try it with 9x467. And if it doesn't I might can get 1.30625 @ 9x 467. I love ocing lol.
^^^
Looking good so far in cpu-z @ 1.3000vcore. 1.216 in cpu-z. Temps went WAY down. Forgive me this is my first oc so still getting used to it. Max temp is 65* so far after 10 min in prime95, but who knows how long it will last. 4600MHz here we come....(okay maybe 4200)

Booted at 9x467 and blue screen crashed when I started prime95. May be my ram. What do you think? Usually cpu-z just gives error when cpu is undervolted. I'll run a small FFTs this time. I really need to find a way to see my ram's voltage. Might have to get some ddr2 1066

You've got the oc bug, there's no going back now you know, lmao

4GHz at 1.216v, that chip never ceases to amaze me. (I'm so jealous I'm secretly plotting to steal it) ;)

0.032v is not great but if you wanted to there may be a mod to fix it, google is your friend.

I'd lap the cooler base (if it needs it) before trying any higher than 4.0GHz, also which thermal paste did you use?

At the top of the chart I posted earlier the guy at 4.2GHz is using water cooling so you're right up there.

:D

Im using Arctic Silver 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Its like a concrete color. I have some paste that came with my hsf that is white.
So now to figure out why it would blue screen crash instead of give me a cpu-z error. It crashed on small FFTs too. About vdroop. Will my processor be same temps if bios settings are the same no matter what vdroop?

WE NEED TO MAKE A E3100 OC THREAD for all this instead of prime 95 help lol.

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=801626#post801626

AS5 is good stuff, I presume you knew how to apply it so I doubt there'll be much to gain by reapplying it. There are better but only by a degree or so I use AC MX-2 or Tuniq TX-2, I doubt the generic white stuff would be any better, it's usually aluminium oxide in a silicon carrier.

blue screen is usually memory/Northbridge related, but with small fft it would appear not to be, as the only thing you have changed is the vcore try stepping it up one notch. (vcore was the only thing you changed, yes?)

EDIT: vdroop question, it should increase temps slightly as the current to the cpu would increase through reduced droop.

Honestly, you have negligible vdroop, I wouldn't be too concerned with it tbh

No I upped FSB to 467. I'll try hitting my north bridge up with some more volts. I already overvolted my ram some.

And post your screenshots in that thread... please :)

Upping the FSB has raised the memory MHz yes? so the cause may well have been memory failing.

WE NEED TO MAKE A E3100 OC THREAD for all this instead of prime 95 help lol.
Wait untill worshipme gets his board back from rma then he'll be posting up a storm too, he has two E8400's there to play with. Just seen the other thread, he's started already, lol

Back
Top Bottom