Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Is Price too good??

hello at my supermarket (i know) there is an offer on a desktop that has kinda caught my eye i just would like to know 1. is it any good?? 2. am i getting a steal

This is the spec what i know of:

Processor:

AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 quad-core processor 2.2ghz

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (OEM Version)
incl. Service Pack 1

3 GB DDR2 Dual Channel Ram

500 GB S-ATA hard drive, 8 MB Cache, super-fast 7200 rpm

NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500 GT High-performance graphics with HDMI connection 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM, DirectX® 10 and
HDCP support

Integrated Blu-ray, HD DVD & DVD Player as well as Dual Layer DVD / CD

8-channel High Definition Audio Out

eSATA Connection

Integrated WLAN IEEE 802.11n Draft:
With up to 300MBit/s, IEEE 802.11b/g compatible

Network controller Gigabit LAN:
10 / 100 / 1000 Mbit/s. on board

Multi Flash Memory Card Reader:

The Price is :£529 you get a mouse and keybored no moniter though

what i would mainly use it for is photo editing and to play games but i really have no idea what my gaming limit would be. i.e can it run cod4 high? also i would like to use video editing software.

Thanks for your help

sykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Is Price too good??

That's about what it should cost you to build yourself... well with the exception of the Blu-ray (that would be a deal-breaker for me).

I say yes, that is a pretty good price- but then again I don't know shihhhh about pounds.

I recon it should run COD4 just fine, depending on your resolution. 1280x1024 should be on high.

Video editing wouldn't be bad, but you might want to get a 10,000rpm hdd.

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

1 pound = 2 American dollars, which brings the cost of that rig to 1050 bucks. That is a pretty good deal, considering it is quad core, 3 gigs of ram, and a Blu-ray combo drive.

I would go for it, and be sure you get a nice monitor to go with it The drive alone is worth 200 or more USD.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

That's not a bad deal. It would do well with photo and video editing. The 9500GT is an entry level card. It should be able to handle COD4 on mid settings.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
1 pound = 1.5 American dollars, which brings the cost of that rig to 800 bucks. That is a pretty good deal, considering it is quad core, 3 gigs of ram, and a Blu-ray combo drive.

I would go for it, and be sure you get a nice monitor to go with it The drive alone is worth 200 or more USD.
I think you will find with the current exchange rates
1 GBP = 1.94670 USD
and so the cost of this computer is actually
529.00 GBP or 1,029.80 USD

Anyway to the OP is that the medion one from aldi , if so it looks pretty good to me although i havent had a computer from medion myself so i cant really tell you much about their computers personally
but the spec is very good indeed has blu ray player and a hdmi connection so ideal for the living room as a media center PC
not really geared to gaming with the GPU but still should run games at lower res's on high at a push , and the ram is a good amount . Good amount of storage there as well .And the processor is very good there .
most i had was a MP3 player a good few years back by them and that seemed OK and when it broke partially my own fault there they honored their warranty and replaced it for me