powerline/home plugs

alex_boothby

In Runtime
hi guys,

long time no post

hoping I could ask your advice.

my sister has just moved into a house which actually has 2 electricity supplies thus 2 bills, 2 MPANS and 2 ring mains!

so the problem is we can't just simply use a powerline with Wifi extender as the house is on 2 circuits. so the part of the house that hasn't got the router attatched can not use powerlines.

anyone got any ideas how to make all of the house A Wifi area?

many thanks

apologies for typing, currently in phone!

If you can't use powerline you could try a simple Wifi extender. You place these towards the outer edge of your existing wifi coverage, and they pick up the signal and rebroadcast on another SSID. My experience has been that they work okay but there will be latency.

The only other option I can think of is to run Ethernet cabling and hook up another access point on the opposite side of the house. If you have attic access you can run it up there.

Not sure whether this will work or not nor whether it's paractical in your circumstances but plug a powerline in to one ring and another into the other ring and then connect the two together with an ethernet cable. Powerlines send and receive so, in theory, it should work. But as I said it may not be practical, it would depend on how close the sockets belonging to both mains rings are to each other.

I think you'll have to use just standard WiFi extenders to be honest as suggested above.

Though if you don't mind running an ethernet cable upstairs, you could do Pete's idea, or just use a switch upstairs instead?

Back
Top Bottom