Power surge?

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
Keep getting a "power surge" thing come up on my computer. It runs fine, then shuts off and give me that. There's a setting in the ASUS EFI BIOS to turn off the power surge thing but...I wonder...why is it doing that? PSU dying? Should I just turn off the warning thing?

Hi rmp5s1

Can you take a screenshot or photo of this warning ? ... ASUS Anti-Surge Protection
This special design prevents expensive devices and the motherboard from damage caused by power surges from switching power supply(PSU)

Hi rmp5s1

Can you take a screenshot or photo of this warning ? ... ASUS Anti-Surge Protection

It'll shut off, then turn back on and stop at this. It's an 800W Corsair running a 2600K@ 4.4 ghz, a GTX 560ti, 2 SSDs, a Corsair H60 and a couple case fans. That psu should be ably to handle that. Not sure why it's giving me this error and I don't want to just turn the error off if it's actually happening because something is screwed up and end up frying my MoBo...again...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130214_070304.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130214_070304.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 5
:D ... OK and this just keeps coming up ... try rebooting your BIOS

Yup. Done that too...twice. I'm now on a first name basis with my bios battery. lol

I have the "Asus surge protection" crap disabled for now to keep it from randomly resetting my machine. I just want to know if anyone thinks this will hurt my MoBo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I wouldn't take that warning lightly as it wouldn't just pop up for no reason. I don't know how sensitive the setting that triggers the alarm is, but it might be that the surge isn't really enough to effect anything. Or it might be big enough to blow the MoBo. Do you have it hooked up to a surge protector or plugged right into the wall? It might be worth investing into a really nice surge protector and then turning it back on to see what happens.

Personally, I wouldn't take that warning lightly as it wouldn't just pop up for no reason. I don't know how sensitive the setting that triggers the alarm is, but it might be that the surge isn't really enough to effect anything. Or it might be big enough to blow the MoBo. Do you have it hooked up to a surge protector or plugged right into the wall? It might be worth investing into a really nice surge protector and then turning it back on to see what happens.

It is indeed plugged into a surge protector. Thought about getting a better one though. A nice power conditioner/ups would be ideal.

Is there any way to test what the psu is actually putting out? I can go buy a multimeter later if need be. I just need pointed in the right direction for some info on how to use it to test the psu.

I've already had one MoBo die in this box...REALLY don't want to have another one go belly up. Maybe the psu is what's doing it...

PSU, maybe. But like jmacavli said it really wouldn't hurt to invest in a UPS. Another thing to check is the ground on the outlet you're using. Bad or no ground on an outlet for a computer is a no no.
I use ACP power products for all my UPS's. Reliable and the bang for the buck ratio is great. Just don't install the power chute software. It badly written and a resource monster. Here's mine > APC Power Saving Back-UPS 750 At Office Max > APC Back-UPS ES Device - 750VA
Most office supply places carry them and have better prices than computer shops and electronics stores.

Back
Top Bottom