Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default ? on power supply wires

I just purchased a upgraded power supply from the OEM

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/cx-series-psu/cx-series-cx430m-modular-atx-power-supply-430-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu.html
I currently have 3 HDD 1.OS 2. extra storage I understand the HDD
require a SATA power wire doe’s the DVD drive also use a SATA
power wire?

I'm thinking the DVD drive doe's connect w/ a SATA power just like the HDD so if I add a 4th HDD I'll need this correct or something simiaril
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200061

Thanks STB

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka
Default Re: ? on power supply wires

There should be two sata connectors one that leads to the motherboard and the other that comes from the power supply which is the sata power cable so yes you will need that cord if you don't have anymore connectors on your PSU.

Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

you have more then 2 sata power cables included with that PSU and each have 3 connectors on them. so you should be fine. problem i think is more that the one cable that goes to the DVD drive is too far away from the 4'th HDD so no of the 2 extra connectors on that cable will reach. in that case you could buy a sata power extender
Like this_ http://www.satacables.com/assets/ima...ion-8-inch.jpg
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
you have more then 2 sata power cables included with that PSU and each have 3 connectors on them. so you should be fine. problem i think is more that the one cable that goes to the DVD drive is too far away from the 4'th HDD so no of the 2 extra connectors on that cable will reach. in that case you could buy a sata power extender
Like this_ http://www.satacables.com/assets/ima...ion-8-inch.jpg
OK so the DVD and HDD use the same type of SATA power wire.
actualley this PSU has two SATA cable's each has two SATA connections total of 4 SATA drives.
Look at my case on top is the DVD drive directly under the DVD is one HDD I'm hopping both these SATA connector will fit, then on the second SATA cable will go to the HDD cage I'm sure the second cable will fit.

my 24 pin MOBO will be very short can I stuff the extra in this open area? this area is real close to the 24 pin connector just above the HDD cage.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via Skype™ to Fujitaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
OK so the DVD and HDD use the same type of SATA power wire.
actualley this PSU has two SATA cable's each has two SATA connections total of 4 SATA drives.
Look at my case on top is the DVD drive directly under the DVD is one HDD I'm hopping both these SATA connector will fit, then on the second SATA cable will go to the HDD cage I'm sure the second cable will fit.

my 24 pin MOBO will be very short can I stuff the extra in this open area? this area is real close to the 24 pin connector just above the HDD cage.
I don't see why not as it doesn't look like you have much room for cable management, looking at all the cables is messing with my ocd big time. I would try to tie the cables away from the ram a little more if possible.
Fujitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
In Runtime

in post 4 the second image what is this device in the slot w/ the black wire attached to it?
also doe's this device get hot? I was planning on stuffing the extra PSU wire in this open part of the slot.
Thanks STB