Power Supply Upgrade - Vaio RS-620G

JetBlackRX89

Beta member
I've purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro for my Sony Vaio PCV-RS620G. I only tested it for a few seconds, but saw a strange checkboard pattern on the screen during boot and after windows had started. My friend said this is probably because the card is getting insufficient power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/JetBlackRX89/PowerSourceSpecs.gif

I mapped out all the details and dimensions of my 300-watt stock Vaio power supply. I plan on replacing it with a 450-550-Watt power supply, but I've had a hard time finding one in such odd dimensions.

The power supply is 165mm (w) x 90mm (h) x 100 (L) mm. I'm aware that Sony uses proprietary parts and I'm cramped on space, but I figure I could squeeze in a power supply of up to 165mm (w) x 90mm (h) x 130 (L) mm quite comfortably, and maybe even a little more if the cooling fan is at the bottom of the power supply. It can only be so long, because then it will hit the back of the CD drives.

I'm willing to either make a tight fit, or get an ultra-small power source and use some sort of supporting structure to keep it in place. Anybody have any reccommended parts that are reliable, meet the power requirements, and fits within the space I have?

BTW: if I do get a very small power supply, is there any risk taken by leaving gaps of space between it and the case (since it will probably not be a perfect fit)?

Thanks for any replies!

Back
Top Bottom