Power Supply Upgrade

MNI-SmellyCakes

In Runtime
hello. i have an inspiron 531, w/ a 300W psu. i just recently upgraded to an HD4670 which runs fine on the 300W, but i'd like to upgrade further, maybe 8800gt?

but i know for sure i'll have to upgrade my psu. so any suggestions on what psu will fit and work in my inspiron 531?

any past experiences would be good, too.

thanks all.

very ironic. cool though, so did you have any troubles whatsoever installing/uninstalling the old one?

im glad you replied, i love newegg, and that looks like a gooood price.

Yeah i just bought that PSU about a week ago. Works fantastic. To answer your question there wasnt any modding everything fit. FIT PERFECTLY I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT

awesome. thats great. for some reason it just looks like it wouldnt fit. but you said it did. so im gonna trust ya.

yeah it fit for me. but if you want to know a lil secret. you may not need a new psu. I bought this psu the same time i bought my 8600GT which also said it required 350 watts. So i broke down and bought the PSU because for the most part the Inspiron comes stocl with 300-320 watts dependin on what configuration you have. Well come to find out the card runs fine in the case with the stock PSU. I havent even opened the new PSU yet. Just figured I'd keep it just cuz.

So my advice to you. TO save a lil money. Try out the video card first. Then if something goes wrong you'll have the PSU. I almost guarantee it will work. If it ran my 8600GT So dont worry my friend.

yeah it fit for me. but if you want to know a lil secret. you may not need a new psu. I bought this psu the same time i bought my 8600GT which also said it required 350 watts. So i broke down and bought the PSU because for the most part the Inspiron comes stocl with 300-320 watts dependin on what configuration you have. Well come to find out the card runs fine in the case with the stock PSU. I havent even opened the new PSU yet. Just figured I'd keep it just cuz.

So my advice to you. TO save a lil money. Try out the video card first. Then if something goes wrong you'll have the PSU. I almost guarantee it will work. If it ran my 8600GT So dont worry my friend.

the 4670 draws about 20w more power at idle and load than the 8600GT, he may be able to run it, bit if he can afford a new psu he should get it, the 500w OCZ you bought would be perfect for him as well and only about $25 after MIR, especially if he's thinking of getting an 8800GT later on, this is a great price on this psu...

No, I already bought the HD4670, and put it into the machine. It runs fine.

Btw, my comp came stock w/ the 8600GT, haha.

I'm wanting to get an 8800GT asap.

But I know for sure I'd need to upgrade the psu, that's why i posted the thread. (to find a variety or choices of psu's that people have experienced and know will fit/be compatible)

Well if thats the case. Then buy the PSU I told you too. It is reliable, cheap, works wonders

Well if thats the case. Then buy the PSU I told you too. It is reliable, cheap, works wonders

+1

and you wouldn't have to upgrade the psu again if you decide to get a higher powered card like a 4850 or an 8800GT...

Back
Top Bottom