Which Power supply should I use?

That's fine. There are 5 tiers of PSUs and yours are tier 3 (1 being the best) and they'll do but a few dollars more gets you to tier 2.

Also the cheaper ones uses caps made in Taiwan which are questionable while the Japanese caps are better.

Also tier 2 and 1 have better circuitry which makes them more capable of protection against blackouts and brownouts.

Also higher amperage on 12V rail(s).

Last edited:
I suppose you are talking about 80+ Certification.
The one i linked to is gold validated.

The cheapest seasonic PSU in the list i filtered is almost 20 Pounds (30 US dollars. So more than just a few dollars) more expensive than the one i linked to. They are both from respected companies, both are 80+ Gold, Both 750W and lastly both are modular.
Here is the seasonic: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (SSR-750RM) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

Great PSU. But there is a fractal design PSU for sale right now at the same price that are platinum validated and have 50W more.
Fractal Design Newton R3 800W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (FD-PSU-NT3B-800W) - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
techpowerup gave it 9/10 points.

Last edited:
The ratings (Bronze, Platinum, Gold) are efficiency ratings in relation to the draw from the wall. That has nothing to do with the build quality.

That Fractal Design is made by ATNG which I know nothing about.

By the way, 4 of the Fractal Design models (ED1B) are made by Seasonic. :)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to put you down BE but when it comes to your investments in the PCs the PSU is the most important part of the system. If the PSU goes out it can take the system with it.

Now the OP has a quad core CPU and a high end video card which runs into serious dollars I wouldn't want him to settle for tier 3 PSUs. Tier 2 is better without spending big bucks for tier 1.

I am a huge fan of the 80+ rating. To me that's what is the most important other than a respect brand and the right among of Watt.
Before buying I check some review sites for the score, pros and cons.

I have actually never heard of the tier rating on PSU's. Reviews don't included them often, do they?
Maybe i have to start including that into my consideration when buying PSU's.
I have some reading to do it seams. :)

i never stated that they did. It's a performance rating.

That just links to a forum post.
Sure that tier rating is a proper accepted rating system?
I haven't yet come across the term, and i have been interested in hardware for 7 years.
I'm i alone here? anyone?

Last edited:
attachment.php

This computer has been running almost non stop for a year. Note what it is...

Back
Top Bottom