Power Supply Question

Well some things I don't get at all are why the heck would a 430 watt PSU need four 20 amp rails? That's for 650-750 Watt PSU's minimum. And sure your power supply has more features, but if the ratings mean anything, I wouldn't ever drop $40 on that PSU.

I don't want to sound stingy here, but if you recommended that PSU to me for a low budget build, I would take the sparkle in an instant.

This is a very good power supply Grantofhell listed. Well rated with over 2000 reviews on newegg. It is also a little cheaper on newegg.com right now. Here-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

I usually agree with Rohan but this time I have to disagree, the wattage rating and total amps on the Rosewill's 12v rails is way out of whack and they don't add up, the sparkle psu is a good psu for low end builds and that's exactly what this is, the four 20 amp 12v rails throws up a huge red flag for me, I'd definitely stay away from that Rosewill psu, they have a 400w unit that has 27 amps on two 12v rails and this unit jumps to 80 amps on four rails but only puts out 411w total...? huge red flag imo...

I usually agree with Rohan but this time I have to disagree, the wattage rating and total amps on the Rosewill's 12v rails is way out of whack and they don't add up, the sparkle psu is a good psu for low end builds and that's exactly what this is, the four 20 amp 12v rails throws up a huge red flag for me, I'd definitely stay away from that Rosewill psu, they have a 400w unit that has 27 amps on two 12v rails and this unit jumps to 80 amps on four rails but only puts out 411w total...? huge red flag imo...

A huge red flag for sure. Something fishy? Good post btw. :)

Well some things I don't get at all are why the heck would a 430 watt PSU need four 20 amp rails? That's for 650-750 Watt PSU's minimum. And sure your power supply has more features, but if the ratings mean anything, I wouldn't ever drop $40 on that PSU.
It means that each rail can output 20A. The combined amperage of the 12V rails is not 80A. Every PSU manufacturer does it.

And I think I win: OCZ StealthXStream 400W - Manufactured by the FSP Group. :p

It means that each rail can output 20A. The combined amperage of the 12V rails is not 80A. Every PSU manufacturer does it.

And I think I win: OCZ StealthXStream 400W - Manufactured by the FSP Group. :p

I have yet to see an Antec psu where the rated wattage and amps were that far out of whack, that's the most theoretical amps I've seen on a psu with less than 700-800w, I'd also disagree that every psu manufacturer does it, the more established and respected ones don't...

Antec True Power 550 Watt

The only manufacturers I've seen who aren't too bad are Seasonic and PCP&C. They will probably tell you that it's not false advertising and that they aren't doing anything wrong. It's just a little misleading.

This is supposed to be a budget build. We are getting more and more power than he needs. Let's keep PSU recommendations in the 300-450 Watt range.

PPC 420 80+, Active PFC, 12v30a (12x30=360watts)

But it does get bad reviews because it only has 3 Sata power connections and the sata wire for the connections are pretty short.

Corsair 450 80+, Active PFC, 12v33a (12x33=390watts)

More expensive but it does have six sata connections

Back
Top Bottom