Power Supply Question

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new power supply. I think the one you (63083) suggested look good. I have a question, though. Do think it would work if I took out all of my hard drives and cd rom drives and put them in another computer? That way, my 280W power supply would just be used for the motherboard and the video card. The other peripherals, although attached via data cables, would be powered by a second computer. Granted that would make the computer twice as big...

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new power supply. I think the one you (63083) suggested look good. I have a question, though. Do think it would work if I took out all of my hard drives and cd rom drives and put them in another computer? That way, my 280W power supply would just be used for the motherboard and the video card. The other peripherals, although attached via data cables, would be powered by a second computer. Granted that would make the computer twice as big...

Well power supplies don't work that way unfortunately. They have to have to be plugged into the motherboard for them to power other components. If the power supply's motherboard connector is not plugged in, it will not turn on.

And just curious, why would you want to do that anyway. It would make a huge unbelievable mess of cables.

I would have to plug the motherboard connector into the second computer, then take out the processor or something. Anyway, I guess I'm just incredibly stingy. However, there's something to be said for saving yourself $40. I'm probably going to buy that ps though. Everyone I've seen post online says not to skimp on that part of your computer. Now I wish I had ordered the card and the ps together, I could have saved on shipping...

Eric

Well I'm sure that PSU will serve you well. I ran an HP with a 8500GT 512mb card installed on the stock 300 Watt PSU for over a year.

And about the thing you want to do, why not just run all of the parts in one case?

I could do that, although there would hardly be room for 2 power supplies, 2 motherboards, 2 hard drives, a cd drive, and a video card in one case. And then the cooling problem would be enormous. Much better to keep it in 2 pcs right next to each other.

Eric

Actually, not to sound like a know-it-all, but you can actually run two power supplies in one system w/o needing another motherboard, etc...Plug it in and jump the ATX cables - The purple and black for most PSU's. Just put a conductive material in the pins to "complete" the circuit. That's all the motherboard does.

BUT - Having two different power supplies doesn't make for a very good system. It is HIGHLY recommended just to grab a new one. I would stick in the 400W region for future applications you might put it to. ThermalTake makes a good 430W. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078

Hmm, let's see.

1) Rosewill is a better known brand for low budget power supplies.
2) My power supply has more wattage.
3) My power supply has an 80 plus efficiency.
4) Mine has 4 12v rails
12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,
+12V3@20A, +12V4@20A

Well some things I don't get at all are why the heck would a 430 watt PSU need four 20 amp rails? That's for 650-750 Watt PSU's minimum. And sure your power supply has more features, but if the ratings mean anything, I wouldn't ever drop $40 on that PSU.

I don't want to sound stingy here, but if you recommended that PSU to me for a low budget build, I would take the sparkle in an instant.

Actually, not to sound like a know-it-all, but you can actually run two power supplies in one system w/o needing another motherboard, etc...Plug it in and jump the ATX cables - The purple and black for most PSU's. Just put a conductive material in the pins to "complete" the circuit. That's all the motherboard does.

BUT - Having two different power supplies doesn't make for a very good system. It is HIGHLY recommended just to grab a new one. I would stick in the 400W region for future applications you might put it to. ThermalTake makes a good 430W. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&CatId=1078

This is a very good power supply Grantofhell listed. Well rated with over 2000 reviews on newegg. It is also a little cheaper on newegg.com right now. Here-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Back
Top Bottom