Power Supply Question

lorderico

Solid State Member
I just purchased a new video card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130451) for my computer). After purchasing it, I read that the minimum requirement is a 350W power supply (+12V at 18 A). Currently I have a 240W power supply, but it looks like it only outputs 5A at 12V. I have a power supply in another computer that is 280W, and says it delivers 15A at 12V. Should I buy a new power supply? The video card is shipping right now, so I can't test it.

Eric

If I tried it will the 280W supply and it didn't like the power supply, would it get destroyed immediately, or would I have some forewarning?

as scotty says
"We just dont have the power captin!"
AR is right though
too much would destroy it
by burning the circuits maybe
but that would take a whole heck of alot
like a power line would do the trick

Ok, in about 3 days (when the card comes) I'll have to try the Video Card with the 280W ps. I'm really not looking forward to buying a power supply...

Thanks for the advice,
Eric

I'm driving a 8400GS on my dual core rig. Works great. You'll like it.
I do think the power specs are being a little over played.

I think its always better to get the best PSU you can afford, do you want system instabilities and power spikes on your brand new part?
People always underestimate the importance of a decent PSU, its basically running all your components and if its flaky then its going to cause issues across your system.

Back
Top Bottom