Power Supply Problem?

fetus

In Runtime
I've had my computer for like 3-4 months and I've noticed a deterioration in gameplay. I run a 6800 GT video card on my Dell Optiplex GX620 and the card recommends at least a 350W PSU or greater; the dell only comes with a 305. Everything has worked fine up until now; well actually, it still runs well enough, I've just noticed that it can't seem to handle as much as it used to and it looks a little choppy. Is it possible that my power supply is dying out and therefore the video card is unable to draw sufficient power from it? Also, I've heard from this one kid that he managed to use a regular ATX power supply in the same computer I have. I've heard that my power supply is proprietary so, needless to say, that's why I haven't bothered to try it.

just get a 500 watt power supply they are about 35 dollars you could ruin your computer if you dont go look on newegg.com

Yeah but the problem is that my computer supposedely uses a proprietary power supply...so i need to get a dell psu or i could mess it up.

Well contact Dell, it should still be under warranty if it is only 3-4 months old. Tell them that your computer is struggling with power issues and ask what they can do to sort it out. They will probably just say that it should be fine and give another month, but you never know, they might actually value you as a customer and do something about it!

It just strikes me as strange that Dell would put a 300W PSU into a computer that is running a 6800GT??But then I shouldn't be surprised..... it is Dell :) I mean it doesn't take a genius to read the specs of a 6800GT and realise that 300W just isn't enough. I bet they've used a cheap PSU aswell, one with very little amps on the 12V rail.

Just to let you know, your computer is designed for work, IE it is a workstation, henice the name Optiplex. That model in particular ins't made for games and intense graphics. I doubt dell will give you a PSU at a higher rating then it already is. Since it is a Workstation type from Dell, I suspect you will get great warrenty out of the thing.

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just want to say, Dell doesn;t make it easy to upgrade, IMHO, it's odd that a workstation like yours shouldn't come with a 400 watt PSU (AT LEAST 350).

Back
Top Bottom