Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Power Supply Help

I'm planning on getting AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX, ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard, and 2GB (2X1GB) PNY DDR2 Memory.

Is 400 watts power supply good enough for it? I'm NOT playing highly graphics games. I just want a computer thats not slow, but I dont want my computer to slow down because of my power supply. I'm going to be hooking up 2 hard drives, 1 sata, 1 ide. And a dvd-rom and cd burner.

I have dont have extra money to spend on a power supply because I just bought this one for my old computer 2 months ago, can't return it. So would or SHOULD I get bigger power supply? And also, I leave my computer on all day, probably turn it off once every 6 months for like 6 hours. Don't want my electric bill to go off the roof. I also don't want it to heat up my little tinny room.

PopcornKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Power Supply Help

400 watts is actually the minimum in today's computing and you should get by just fine. What kind of video card are you using? I would typically go for a 450-500 watt power supply. For now, I don't see any reason why it won't hold up. Give it a try with your older PSU for awhile and see what happens.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

video card makes a huge difference to power consumption. So it's kind of hard to say without knowing which vid card you are going to use.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
Baseband Member

I'm planning on getting PNY GeForce 8500GT. And I just bought 430W Antec TruePower Trio PSU. Would that PSU help?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Yes, that PSU will be good to run your system with the 8500GT.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Is there any other brand name PSU that are cheap but good as well? because this PSU was about $100. If I can find something cheap and good, it would help me a lot. And is Rosewell a good psu company? Any other brand name you guys recommend which are cheap but good? I mean I don't want my PSU to kill my CPU and Motherboard, as well as other things.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 AM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

The FSP AX450-PN 450W and the Rosewill RE501-BLK 500W would be a couple of good choices too. FSP manufactures high quality PSUs, and I've been hearing good reports lately on the Rosewill units.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
In Runtime

yea just to be safe, get atleast a 500w, correct me if im wrong, but the more the better u can get sum great prices at this site i found a while back called http://www.xoxide.com...im gonna post this website so ppl can see cuz they have sum cool stuff....
shagadelicman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Yeah, well, you really don't want to skimp out too much on the PSU. I spent 60 dollars on my Aspire 520W PSU and it just died on me last week. I've had it for about a year and a half. I just placed an order on a OCZ GameXstream 700W from Newegg though... lol.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Thank you guys for all the help. I'm going to stick with Antec PSU. Can't wait to get the CPU and Motherboard.