Power Supply/Graphics Card Help

Ares719

Solid State Member
Looking to upgrade my graphics card a bit. Not a huge hardcore gamer, so don't care a ton about perfect performance. Running on low settings doesnt bother me, as long as i get decent fps on FPS games.

Anyway, my main problem seems to be power supply.
Otherwise, i think comps ok.

Power Supply:
LITEON
Model NO. PS-5301-08HA
Says 300W.

Heard V and A/brand is more important then W a lot of the time so, figured id ask around.

(Currently Onboard graphics)

I don't want to play Crysis, or crap like that.
Main games will be darkfall/starcraft 2, maybe guild wars 2.

Currently looking at:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=1217029964838&skuId=8968101&type=product
(says 400w needed)

If i get this, will i be wasting money?

Should i bother trying to upgrade card now, or wait forever til i can get both power supply and graphics card?

Some comp specs if it helps:
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

Expansion Slots

PCI: 2
PCI Express x16: 1
PCI Express x1: 1

Looking for advice on getting a card, advice on the linked card, advice on other cards, or anything really.
Like very other gamer, i can only afford to upgrade 1 thing at a time, and im impatient.

Thanks for any help.

Before addressing what video card would be appropriate, we'll need to know the model number of your system so we can determine what type of video card slot your computer has. It could either be an AGP or PCIe slot. Judging from the specs you posted I'm guessing that you either have an AGP slot or, God forbid, a standard PCI slot.

Expansion Slots

PCI: 2
PCI Express x16: 1
PCI Express x1: 1

That what you needed to know?

A PCI Express x16 slot, perfect!

If you're game for buying online, you can get that card a bit cheaper from Newegg: XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB - $77.99

You will need a more powerful power supply. This would be a good choice: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W - $38.99 ($23.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate) and Free Shipping.

If you can't afford both, you could wait to save up. You could get the power supply first, then the video card, but that just means more waiting. . .

Sounds like a Dell to me. I have almost the same exact slots. I know that doesnt mean anything. But idk just my two cents. I'm using GeForce 8600GT 256MB. its like 78 dollars on newegg

That's something I didn't think of Ronspc. An 8600GT would be a decent upgrade from his onboard graphics, and still be able to run on the 300W PSU. It's not a real powerhouse, but it should handle Darkfall/Starcraft 2 and Guild Wars 2.

Here's one at a decent price: EVGA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB - $59.99 ($49.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Biggest thing for me atm, is i have about $130 left on a bestbuy giftcard, so... Would like to use that if possible.
Also, just had a bad experience on newegg with a headset.

Is it worth getting that 430W supply, since id prolly have to upgrade it again in the relative future if i needed to upgrade card again?

Im thinking, if i cant get a card worthwhile now using that supply, then i might as well get like a 750W supply, then save for card.
Last a bit longer.

The computer is HP Desktop.
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...99&lc=en&dlc=lt&cc=lt&product=3629205&lang=lt

Back
Top Bottom