Power supply failure

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone,
My power supply died this past weekend. I went back to the store i got my pc from and had it exchanged for a new one since its still under its 1 yr warranty. Anyways, here's my question. Before i built this computer i checked out what hardware i would need with what power supply. Some site did the calculation that i needed 350watt, actually 350W was recommended. I bought a 420W just to be safe. The guys at the store are telling me that since my power supply is generic brand, that its not TRUE power. They said for what i have in my system, my current power supply will not suffice and i was lucky it didnt die earlier. Therefore i need to buy another one from OCZ or Enermax or something that sells TRUE 450W power. Is this really necessary? I dont want to have to go out and buy another power supply for $100 if not necessary.
My system specs are below. I just shut off my SLI in order to put less drain on the system. But i want to turn it back on soon.

THX

i dont think its not TRUE power its just that their cheaply made so they'll break alottt faster and easyer than a quality PSU

a friend of mine told me the heavyer a psu is, the higher quality it is since all the weight is comming from the 2 large heatsinks that cool that baby.

So do you thuink i need to go out and buy a new PSU or should i just keep this replacement in there, keep everything OC'd and running like before until it fails (if it fails) again? I am just worried that if it fails it may burn out the MB or HDD or something then i have to pay a lot more to replace some other parts beyond the PSU.

Iw ould try thr new one you just got and if it fails, get a more reliable power supply, like an Antec.

ya i guess i'll just do that. After all, if it lasts another 5 months, its saves me the money for 5 months.

Well if your computer is really good and you think you will keep it for a long time, i would reccomend that you go and get a really decent one.

ya i plan to keep it for a while. Its not as god as most of these guys in this forum, but it sure does the job for me. Besides, im getting married soon and the wifey wont let me spend cr1zy money on these things anymore. :S

Back
Top Bottom