Power supply explosion -> weird problems

foothead

Omnicide now.
My brother's power supply (cheap pos 580w) just exploded while playing UT3 (yes, exploded). The PSU does not really matter, but there are some weird things goin on now.

After it exploded, I removed the video card, and put in a 300w garbage PSU to test the system. On bootup I was greeted with the "Hardware has changed, please reactivate Windows" box. WTF?!?!?! The only thing that has changed was me removing the video card to use the IGP. Anyway, I closed it, installed the drivers for the IGP (HD 3200) and went to reset the resolution. When I did that, it got stuck while changing between the two, leaving me with 1920x1080 with the top 1/4 of the screen covered in weird artifacts/white lines. I rebooted, and it gave me the same "reactivate Windows" message. I close it, and it boots up just fine. No artifacts or anything. Device manager reports everything working (though I cannot test the GPU yet.)

Can someone tell me what is going on? I'm hoping this is being caused by one of the countless virii his computer has had, but it doesn't seem like it to me. If the video card is fried, does the manufacturer of the PSU have to pay for it?

So the IGP is having the artifacts? also about the psu thing you'd have to look up the manufacturer and model. It isn't likely that they will cover anything especially if its just a cheap psu.

It was the IGP, but pretty much any GPU will do that in XP when you change resolution, just only for a split second. It happened to get stuck right there. No artifacts after I rebooted, not even in 3D games.

I've had the reactivation thing before. It did that to me when I switched my XP installation from my Gateway 300L to my Q66 build. It's due to windows reading a HW profile change. It just wants to make sure that the OS was not cloned and installed on multiple rigs. PM me if you need help.

I've had the reactivation thing before. It did that to me when I switched my XP installation from my Gateway 300L to my Q66 build. It's due to windows reading a HW profile change. It just wants to make sure that the OS was not cloned and installed on multiple rigs. PM me if you need help.

LOL I know what it is, but the one on XP only does it if it detects a change in chipset.

That is why it's so weird, the only thing that has changed is me removing the video card, and using the IGP.

EDIT: Anyone wanna help me pick out a new PSU? I'm looking for one with at least 40 amps on the 12v rail, that will not explode on me. Budget is low, I wanna try to keep it around $50 if possible.

foothead, I just bought the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 card. Do you think its a good card?

Recertified PSU? Sounds a little risky. The price may look good but from my experience with psus if you buy a bad one for cheap and it blows you can loose hundreds worth of computer parts

I know of quite a few people who have purchased these PSU and are completely satisfied with them. I have the 700W PSU and it works perfectly. They carry a full one year warranty from the factory.

This item is recertified by OCZ technology and comes with a one year warranty. Recertified products are in full working order but may contain small cosmetic blemishes such as minor scratches.

foothead, I just bought the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 card. Do you think its a good card?

Umm yeah it is...

I don't really know about recertified gameXstream. I've got one in my HTPC, and it seems to have some pretty bad ripple under load.

I've been hearing good things about Rosewill PSUs lately, but I'm still kinda scared of them. I'm worried that when it hits a heavy load, it might fry something. Anyone know how reliable they are under heavy load?

I know of quite a few people who have purchased these PSU and are completely satisfied with them. I have the 700W PSU and it works perfectly. They carry a full one year warranty from the factory.

I'll look into it, but if they die and take components with them, will OCZ replace them? If yes, then I will most likely buy one, if not, then I'll look further before making a decision.

Back
Top Bottom