Power supply broken?

dfraccica01

Solid State Member
I am putting together a computer for a first time. I just bought all the parts i need, which are on their way. I just bought my power supply from MGE, a vortec 500W. I plugged my supply up to an outlet, nothing else hooked up ie my motherboard(hasnt arrived yet), flicked the power switch in the back on and nothing happenedd. No fans or lights turned on. So i was wondering,do i need to have everything hooked up to my computer for it to work, or is my supply dead on arrival? thanks for the help

yeah, u need everything hooked up, cuz the power swith on the case activates the PSU, so yeah, get everything hooked up and it should work

You can short out a couple wires in the ATX connector to make it come on. I don't know which ones right off...

I sure hope you have someone helping you or a good manual if you didn't even know this....

You're pretty anxious to get your PC built but hold your horses. The power supply converts AC to DC which feeds DC (direct current) devices. If you have flash light in your hands with no light bulbs on the end, are you gonna see the light. DC needs continuity to circulate; no resistance (or device, no current, no demand, no power!)

Back
Top Bottom