power supply

mx344

Solid State Member
ok im going to get a new computerin the nxxt few months,but i am kind of fooling around with what i can do with it...and my question is,Is a standard 420 watt power supply enough?

Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case
amd 6000+ running at 3.0ghz
Thermaltake MaxOrb cpu fan
Asus M2A-VM AMD 690G Chipset
2 gigs of consar 800DDR2 ram
NIVIDA 8500GT 1gig
320gigs of ram 16Mcache
sony 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sony Dual Format/Double Layer 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

should i bump it to 600+?

What do you mean when you say "standard power supply"? Is it a power supply out of a name brand pc or a custom built pc? If its out of something like a dell or gateway, it probably won't fit in an aftermarket case like the one you are planning to use. And based on how old the power supply is, it might be a 20 pin instead of a 24 pin, and you'll want to check to make sure that it has the extra 4 pin power for the cpu as well.

I ran a setup close to that on an Antec 500w power supply and it ran fine even with a couple extra hard drives in it even though the motherboard called for 600w so I'd say if you have to buy a new one, 600w will be more than enough.

ok,so i got 600, any one else have an thoughts on what i should get...

edit: I mean if i don't need anything more power full than 420 watts why would i get more...
(i plan on not upgrading this pc,because it suits everything that i need it for...)

Back
Top Bottom