Power supplies for laptop

SeaRay88

Solid State Member
I've got a C400 Dell Latitude that uses a charger rated at 2.5A and 20V output. I have a charger for DC to DC that's rated at 3.8A and 19V that was purchased for a Dell Inspiron 5000. Will the higher Amp output do any damage to the C400? Thanks.

The amperage has nothing to do with it. You can't put a charger rated in AC to a unit that is rated DC. You don't say what it is!! The charger is not a problem. If it is a DC to DC charger at 20 volts no problem.

OK. Maybe I wasn't clear. The AC charger is 110V AC input and 20V DC output at 2.7 Amp. The DC charger I have is 11-27V input and 19V DC output at 3.8 Amp. I don't see any problem using this DC adapter, but I'd not want to fry the battery in the C400 laptop if the current is too high. Just got the little puppy for using in my ATV case with map programs. Don't want to fry it too soon. :)

Ah so what your saying is, the AC adaptor runs straight from a plug and converts there and then and doesn't have a box half way across the lead?
Most adapters these days you see have a box which then converts it, and so it isn't done on the plug itself.

I'd try and get one thats rated properly for your laptop to tell the truth. DC stands for Direct Current, while AC stands for Alternating current (What plug sockets use).
The DC connection must be transferring this AC to DC in mid flow. Batteries themselves use DC current, though I wouldn't use one not based on the laptop.

For instance, that 1V fluctuation on both might not even work it anyway, since it might need 20v to run, not 19. If you are worried, take out the battery and try and run it. The laptop might just refuse it.
You should be able to find a capable one somewhere :)
Didn't the new laptop come with a power lead? Or did it break?

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom