Power saving GPU'S vs. standard GPU'S

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Hi, i was just wondering if a GPU that is eco friendly using less power be as good as a standard GPU ?:)

Hi, i was just wondering if a GPU that is eco friendly using less power be as good as a standard GPU ?:)

performance-wise yes, they can be, 4770s supposedly can be clocked to 4850 speeds and 5770s are said to be on par with 4870s, both while using less power because of the manufacturing process improvements...

It does, since when you're using the internet and things that doesn't need the GPU that much, it lowers power. It's better for your bill, but when you game, it will take all the power it needs.

It does, since when you're using the internet and things that doesn't need the GPU that much, it lowers power. It's better for your bill, but when you game, it will take all the power it needs.

but even at full load GPUs with newer architecture use less power...

Oh for sure. By taking all the power it needs, I mean it for what the GPU needs. New technologies always makes GPU take less power and more efficiency.

Something to note here, NV has 9800 GT 'low power' cards, and they can't OC as well as the normal ones because they top out at 75W.

Basically, low power is fine for 99% of people, but there are a few who are better off without it.

There are certain "Power Effecient" cards, and low power cards, that are 9800gt's and the like, but are clocked slower to allow for less draw. So in that case, it would be slightly slower.

What most cards nowadays do is have separate clock speeds for 2D and 3D applications. Take the 5770, when in 3D it runs at 850/1200, but in 2D it runs in 157/400.

What most cards nowadays do is have separate clock speeds for 2D and 3D applications. Take the 5770, when in 3D it runs at 850/1200, but in 2D it runs in 157/400.

Yes, from my understanding. Mine has separate clock speeds for 2d, 3d, and what is called Performance 3d (I guess high load?).

Back
Top Bottom