Power Options / Standby

Abington

Beta member
Hi, I'm an ict technician at a high school. The problem I have is I want to stop the machines going into standby. I have logged on as an administrator and set the Power Options to always on, yet for some reason it changed back to entering standby after 3 mins. I then tried setting the PowerCfg in the registry to Always on. This seemed fine for about 2 weeks although they have now stated going into standby mode. Can anyone tell me how I can stop the machies entering standby when there is no one logged onto the machine? We are running Windows XP Service pack 2, and the server runs Windows Server 2003. If you need anymore information please let me know as I'm not the best person at explaining myself! lol!

Cheers for your time and help guys,

Andy

this might be a hard problem to solve... is it a laptop or a desktop? if its a laptop, is it running on battery?

Majority of them are desktops, but we also have 16 laptops. Could it be a setting that is getting wrote into the students profiles, hence when they log onto another machine those settings are getting wrote to that machine? Bit of a long shot but I have tried everything I can think of and am well and truely stumped! Oh and the laptops run off the battery!

i dont know if this will do it, but give it a try. right click on desktop > Properties. on the new window, click screen saver where it says "wait" if it has a time there set it to like 9999 so it will never go off and click on the button called power where it says Power scemes, just select home/office desk and set system standby to never also do that with hypdernation and turn off hard disks. where it says turn of monitor set that to what ever you want to. not sure if it will work, give it a try if you havent.

I have already tried setting the Power Schemes. I created a new one called abbo default where all of the options where set to 'Never'. This obviously worked but it has changed back to another scheme. The students and teachers have no access to the Power Schemes so no one can change it but me! This is why I am wonderin if there is something in their account profiles that could be possibly reseting it! Another thought I have had is, is there an option in the GPO that could set the Power Schemes to 'Always On', or is there a script that I could run in their log on script to set the Options to Always On? But this leads me again to, if no one is logged on what setting does it use to decide when it goes into standby? Is it the setting of the last user or is there an option to set the power scheme for the computer not the user?

Its probably a group policy on your domain, as that will override any local settings

Does anyone know where and if there is a setting in the group policy to set the power scheme? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom