Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 AM   #21
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to prosser13
Default Re: Post your Super Pi (Mod) times here

The difference is that it gives the time to 3 decimal places. Which means that if you have two people at around the same time, while in the normal Super Pi they would both have 48 seconds, in Super Pi Mod you would be able to tell which one was faster. Bascially, it means its easier to differentiate. It's also more accurate.

Some people may say that it should take advantage of everything. But the idea is to try and have the CPU at 100% load, not both CPUs. It was also written before dual cores were released. About the HyperThreading, though, and a bit more about Dual Cores now If you want to test both cores, you can download it twice, install it twice on two different directories, and run it twice, one core on each .exe. That then stress tests your PC. It's the same with nearly every other stress tester though, even Prime 95 has to be run twice.

There is one other main problem with the normal Super Pi. The scores are amazingly easy to change. They are listed in a text file, so all you have to do is change the value. It would be pretty easy to spot if someone had given themselves 0.99 seconds, but what if someone had just knocked 3 seconds off their time? That would give them probably a higher place, which is cheating. On Super Pi, the results are encrypted inside the program itself, if you change them then you kill the program, so you can't cheat

prosser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #22
Fully Optimized

AXP
1 GB OCZ Plat. Rev.2 TCC5 (bleh hate TCC5)
ASUS A7N8x-E Deluxe (my shuttle AN35N Ultra clocked better)
6800GT 410/1.15

I vote sticky!!

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #23
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosser13
There is one other main problem with the normal Super Pi. The scores are amazingly easy to change. They are listed in a text file, so all you have to do is change the value. It would be pretty easy to spot if someone had given themselves 0.99 seconds, but what if someone had just knocked 3 seconds off their time? That would give them probably a higher place, which is cheating. On Super Pi, the results are encrypted inside the program itself, if you change them then you kill the program, so you can't cheat
Hmm, weird. The Super Pi that I use has exactly the same kind of result showing as this mod one. And don't even try to tell me it's hard to take 3 seconds off ur time with this Super Pi Mod. Ever heard of a program called Photoshop?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #24
Daemon Poster

Yes, but then that defeats the point, and it's a lot more trouble. If you go to the Super Pi mod website http://superpi.radeonx.com there's a validation thingy. If I am suspect about the time I'll just get you to run it again and verify it with a screenie See?

Quote:
The Super Pi that I use has exactly the same kind of result showing as this mod one"
Are you sure you didn't download the mod version? Either that or they've updated it
Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #25
Baseband Member

i might see if i can get my time down abit, after ive sanded the top of the processor down to the copper.
Ge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #26
Daemon Poster

I take it your lapping the HSF and your CPU?

Your at the top at the moment, and looks like no one can challenge you I'll be able to when I get some new RAM, I just need some RAM which can run at 600mhz
Old 12-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

Can everyone make sure their scores are all proper etc please
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #28
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosser13
Yes, but then that defeats the point, and it's a lot more trouble. If you go to the Super Pi mod website http://superpi.radeonx.com there's a validation thingy. If I am suspect about the time I'll just get you to run it again and verify it with a screenie See?

Are you sure you didn't download the mod version? Either that or they've updated it
yeah I know about the validation, and the Super Pi I have has it too. It's not the original Super Pi, all I know is that it's translated from the one they made in 1995 in Japan, but it's possible that they made other changes too.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #29
Daemon Poster

Hopefully Ah well. More times please!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #30
Daemon Poster

BTW, I can't get mine any higher than that It changes the PCI-E frequency, which I am trying to sort out how to lock it.

But shall:
More times please!