Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #541
Solid State Member
 
Breached_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Prince View Post
EDIT

For some reason my signature won't link to the right page. So here's the correct link.

Intel Core i7-4770K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, Corsair 750D - System Build - PCPartPicker

Current PC


OS- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
RAM- 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz
GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB
HHD- 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD

Future PC

My Signature
Your future build could be improved. Some of it I don't even understand.

Instead of the H100i, you should get a Noctua NH-D15.

You're buying a 512GB SSD and not buying a HDD? Not only is this a waste of money, but you're severely reducing the life of an SSD by saving EVERYTHING on it.

Why an 860W PSU?

I would personally buy a different keyboard. There really is a lot better out there.
__________________

Breached_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #542
In Runtime
 
Craig Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 475
Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Prince
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

First of all you're going by the signature link, not the link that I provided. So use the correct link next time.

The reason for the H100I is because I much prefer water cooling to fan cooling.

The second question is not valid because of the page you went to.

I went with a 860W PSU because in case I want to upgrade later to 2 way SLI or any other upgrades it will be nice to have that extra power.

I went with the deathstalker because I'm not at all a fan of mechanical keyboards.
__________________

__________________
PC SPECS: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zY6yyc
Craig Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #543
In Runtime
 
dev893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 375
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Prince View Post
First of all you're going by the signature link, not the link that I provided. So use the correct link next time.

The reason for the H100I is because I much prefer water cooling to fan cooling.

The second question is not valid because of the page you went to.

I went with a 860W PSU because in case I want to upgrade later to 2 way SLI or any other upgrades it will be nice to have that extra power.

I went with the deathstalker because I'm not at all a fan of mechanical keyboards.
Why AI watter cooling? Only time watter cooling is benificial is when you are doing extreme ocing and its a custom loop they make air coolers that are just as good and less than half the price of a AI water cooler

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app
dev893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #544
In Runtime
 
dev893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 375
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

UPDATE

CPU A6-5400K @ 4.3Ghz 1.3625v

Ram: 6Gb DDR3 1866MHZ (1X4GB 1x2gb)

Gpu: Radeon R7 260x 1gb xfx core edition (in the mail)

PSU: corsair CX500 v2

Case: XION XON 560BK

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper T4

HDD: 500gb seagate barracuda 7200.9

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app
dev893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #545
Solid State Member
 
Breached_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Prince View Post
First of all you're going by the signature link, not the link that I provided. So use the correct link next time.

The reason for the H100I is because I much prefer water cooling to fan cooling.

The second question is not valid because of the page you went to.

I went with a 860W PSU because in case I want to upgrade later to 2 way SLI or any other upgrades it will be nice to have that extra power.

I went with the deathstalker because I'm not at all a fan of mechanical keyboards.
I don't understand your reasoning for preferring water coolers over air coolers, could you explain?

Closed loop water coolers really aren't that good. Not only do they cost about double the price of an air cooler than performs just as well as it, but some are also pretty noisy and known for failures.

The Noctua NH-D15 is a much better choice. Your temperature will be pretty much exactly the same as they would be with the H100i and you're also getting that added benefit of quietness.

What are you doing with your PC that you would ever need to upgrade to 2-way SLI or have 16GB of ram?

Razer products - keyboards in particular - really aren't that good. The only thing that I would ever buy off them is their mouses.
Breached_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #546
In Runtime
 
Craig Prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 475
Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Prince
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Okay, let me explain some stuff. You're wrong and right about the coolers. Yes they have about the same temperature, however the H100i is known for it's high reliability as well as being much more quiet than other closed loop water coolers. As well as I'm going to replace the standard Corsair fans that come with it with some Noctua fans so it will be incredibly quiet. Your pricing is incorrect because the Noctua NH-D15 is only $20 cheaper than the H100i.

Now that they have the same temperature and the noise level it entirely comes down to preference. The reason why I went with 16GB of ram is because I will be doing video editing, which 8GB is not enough for. I will be playing games on a 1440P monitor and later get a second 1440P monitor, which will too intensive for a single 780ti. (Unless they release the 6GB VRAM version.)

Not even going to talk to anyone about peripherals, since it's almost entirely opinion based.
__________________
PC SPECS: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zY6yyc
Craig Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #547
Solid State Member
 
Breached_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Sorry for not knowing you were replacing the fans on the H100i, you never mentioned anything about it.

When I said that air coolers cost half the price, I wasn't specifically talking about the H100i, but you can see that they're all quite a bit more expensive. Also, you adding different fans is just going to add to the price. Not only that, with water coolers you're always running the risk of leakage.

I don't know where you got the H100i being reliable. Noctua's reviews are much better than the H100i.

I don't understand why you don't just do a custom loop or pick a better closed loop water cooler if you're that set on water cooling.

The only thing wrong with he noctua is its looks. Other than that, it is a perfect cooler.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Oh, about peripherals: Yes, it is personal preference, but when you're going with a company which are known for not making good products, that is just stupid.

What is wrong with mechanical keyboards for you? I'm just curious.
Breached_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #548
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breached
I don't know where you got the H100i being reliable. Noctua's reviews are much better than the H100i.
I don't understand why you don't just do a custom loop or pick a better closed loop water cooler if you're that set on water cooling.
The only thing wrong with he noctua is its looks. Other than that, it is a perfect cooler.

All quality close loop water cooling solutions are reliable. They don't leak.. why??? simple, they are close loops.
They are not designed to be taken apart. custom loops is. That's why they have a change of leaking if you are not doing it right.

I don't like the Noctua NH-D15 that much. Too big and looks hideous. I have a H60 2013 Editon in my case. looks great and is fairly quite and small. it's fine that you like the Noctua, but don't rub it in our faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breached
You're buying a 512GB SSD and not buying a HDD? Not only is this a waste of money, but you're severely reducing the life of an SSD by saving EVERYTHING on it.
SSD's are not main stream yet, that's why they are expensive.
I personally think they are worth the money. I am never going back to an HDD as a boot drive.
sure it slows down over time... but guess what, so does HDD's. i know that SSD's slow down quicker, but they will never go down on the same speed as even a brand new HDD.... not even close.
My next SSD is gonna be a 512. and that's gonna be the only storage device in my system. i dont need more.
i'll have a nas server as a HDD alternative to store my backup and all my movies. you see, we are all different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breached
Oh, about peripherals: Yes, it is personal preference, but when you're going with a company which are known for not making good products, that is just stupid.
You are calling Razer a bad brand???? Have you taken your medicine today?? just asking.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #549
Solid State Member
 
Breached_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
All quality close loop water cooling solutions are reliable. They don't leak.. why??? simple, they are close loops.
They are not designed to be taken apart. custom loops is. That's why they have a change of leaking if you are not doing it right.
Are you trying to say closed loop water coolers can't spring a leak? If that's what you're saying, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
I don't like the Noctua NH-D15 that much. Too big and looks hideous. I have a H60 2013 Editon in my case. looks great and is fairly quite and small. it's fine that you like the Noctua, but don't rub it in our faces.
Nobody is rubbing anything in anyone's faces. I'm telling him that he's paying too much for a water cooler that just isn't worth it and giving him an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
SSD's are not main stream yet, that's why they are expensive.
I personally think they are worth the money. I am never going back to an HDD as a boot drive.
sure it slows down over time... but guess what, so does HDD's. i know that SSD's slow down quicker, but they will never go down on the same speed as even a brand new HDD.... not even close.
My next SSD is gonna be a 512. and that's gonna be the only storage device in my system. i dont need more.
i'll have a nas server as a HDD alternative to store my backup and all my movies. you see, we are all different.
Nobody is saying that SSD's are a waste of money, I'm saying that buying a 512GB SSD is. I have an SSD myself and I too would never go back to using a HDD for my boot drive.

Buying an SSD and saving EVERYTHING on it will severely decrease the life of the SSD. SEVERELY.

If you want fast storage space for documents, pictures etc, it would be easy enough to just buy a few HDD's and raid 0 them. This would also be cheaper than buying a 512GB SSD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
You are calling Razer a bad brand???? Have you taken your medicine today?? just asking.
Okay, when I said they were bad, I didn't mean it like that. Their keyboards are for sure. The only thing quality about them is their mouses.
Breached_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #550
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Post your rigs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breached_ View Post
Are you trying to say closed loop water coolers can't spring a leak? If that's what you're saying, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
they are not gonna leak. The company that makes them has a reputation to keep. They are sealed tight. they are not suppose to be taken apart. so there are no screws or anything to loosen. ofcause there is a slight change (and i do mean SLIGHT). there is a chance in anything. but it's so minor that it's not worth wasting your time worrying about. you PSU could also suddenly blow up. you don't go around worrying about that, now do you?

Quote:
Nobody is rubbing anything in anyone's faces. I'm telling him that he's paying too much for a water cooler that just isn't worth it and giving him an alternative.
I'll argue that you did. read your post's again. I there is a difference between "good arguments and personal opinion" and "keep telling him why this and that clearly is better even though he already has made up his mind about what he want"


Quote:
Nobody is saying that SSD's are a waste of money, I'm saying that buying a 512GB SSD is. I have an SSD myself and I too would never go back to using a HDD for my boot drive.
Ok then... i don't want to bash you too much for this, but you are still wrong in the statement that 512 GB SSD's are not worth it. To some people it is. If the need the space and speed on one drive and can afford it... go for it.


Quote:
Buying an SSD and saving EVERYTHING on it will severely decrease the life of the SSD. SEVERELY.
If you want fast storage space for documents, pictures etc, it would be easy enough to just buy a few HDD's and raid 0 them. This would also be cheaper than buying a 512GB SSD.
Both SSD's and HDD's has problem with speed reduction over time. But as a said earlier, SSD's don't reduce even close to HDD speeds.

I find it funny that you treasure reliability but like Raid0. it has twice the risk of file corruption. I have been running raid0 for 2 years before i got my SSD. i then used the raid0 volume as "D:/" , but i started noticing the noise the 2 desks made when they woke up from sleep (They go to sleep after some time in idle) that started to annoy me. so i now only have 1 of them installed in my system. Raid0 speed increase is NOTHING compared to SSD's

Quote:
Okay, when I said they were bad, I didn't mean it like that. Their keyboards are for sure. The only thing quality about them is their mouses.
I don't agree
__________________

__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0