Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default possible virus :S

my hard drive has been gettin accessed a lot lately like it never stops and if i check the task manager my cpu is running at 100% but if i look at the processes there arent any that are obviously using a ton of cpu power, i scanned with avg free edition and didnt find anything and i cant get into safe mode but other then that my comp is running like usual, is there anything else i can do to check?

Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: possible virus :S

Have you tried toning down your startup queue using msconfig? Maybe something loads that uses up all your CPU. Or a virus could load...

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
The Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
my hard drive has been gettin accessed a lot lately like it never stops and if i check the task manager my cpu is running at 100% but if i look at the processes there arent any that are obviously using a ton of cpu power, i scanned with avg free edition and didnt find anything and i cant get into safe mode but other then that my comp is running like usual, is there anything else i can do to check?
if all else fails, you could also take out your hhd...change over the jumper's to slave, put it into another computer and boot-up normally w/the other comp. then do a virus scan...it may catch something that your comp. did not.

you can also do a spyware scan too, this may also find something that your comp. missed. when you put the hhd back into your comp. be shure to move the jumper's back to master.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jervin32189
Have you tried toning down your startup queue using msconfig? Maybe something loads that uses up all your CPU. Or a virus could load...
i agree, type "msconfig" in the start - run box. See if anything suspicious is in there, use google to find what they are. Also you can try trendmicro.com they have a great spyware scanner.
^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

All I have on my msconfig to start up is all Windows apps (like Rundll32, MSTASK, things of that sort), antivirus/firewall programs, and any programs that I need to start automatically. Other than that, just uncheck em all. You might want to leave any programs with hardware drivers checked.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

well i still havent found a virus so im starting to wonder if my hard drive is failing, it clicks quite loudly when i open programs and stuff so whats normal for a hard drive? i mean i know they make some noise but how do u know when its going bad? i dont see how this hard drive could be failing because its pretty new
Old 07-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Well considered trying a different virus software? I guarentee you that Avira will find anything that AVG wont. Trust me, ive used them both!
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
well i still havent found a virus so im starting to wonder if my hard drive is failing, it clicks quite loudly when i open programs and stuff so whats normal for a hard drive? i mean i know they make some noise but how do u know when its going bad? i dont see how this hard drive could be failing because its pretty new
If it makes a loud click like a drumbeat, steady, it would seem to me like a read/write head going bad on the hard drive. That would be notably different than the usual grind of a hard drive being constantly accessed. If the hard drive is indeed making an abnormal sound, try looking into the warranty and see if it is still valid. If it is, start making some calls. Otherwise, start shopping.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

i'll give avira a try, right now i have avast and avg and they didnt find anything but we'll see