Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Is it possible to turn on your computer....

.... just by applying the mains power to it?

Here's why I ask.

I have a small computer in the garage that I'd like to switch on by simply turning on the mains power to the garage. The power switch for the garage is in the living room. This way I don't have to enter the garage and press the power button to turn it on.

The motherboard doesn't have such a feature - if there is such a thing - and if this isn't possible then I have designed a small circuit that will do the trick.

Just want to know beforehand if its possible without additional modding.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Is it possible to turn on your computer....

Not sure of contolled power ons, but I had a overheated psu that would shut itseld down before frying, after 30 or so minutes I just unplugged and plugged the cord back in. Turned on without hitting the switch/button. In short, sounds possible.

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
dudelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

In BIOS there is usually a setting on what to do after power loss, stay off and turn back on are usually two of the options. Try playing with those.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl

Does the motherboard have a wake-on-LAN option (sometimes referred to as PME)? If so, there are scripts out there that can turn the computer on by sending a signal over the network.
Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denthúl View Post
Does the motherboard have a wake-on-LAN option (sometimes referred to as PME)? If so, there are scripts out there that can turn the computer on by sending a signal over the network.
Thats what I was thinking of but i'ts networked via USB wireless receiver. I think thats only possible via the Ethernet port?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Yup, WoL will only work through an ethernet port, and it's not always supported. The only option I can think of is:
Quote:
In BIOS there is usually a setting on what to do after power loss, stay off and turn back on are usually two of the options. Try playing with those.
...that one. There's often 3 settings as to what to do after recovering from power loss, off, last state and on (or words to that effect). If you switch it to on, then it *should* power on whenever you give it power - hopefully!

Failing that I think you'll have to just mod it

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote