Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Beta Member

Angry Possible spyware affecting my computer! Help !!

Can anyone reply to this message on the forum - I'm not giving my usual e mail address. Since only last night My system is plagued with pop up ads since visiting a tourism website, and a white box with a message in appeared to suggest its spyware. I find it difficult to get onto programs because of the constant pop ups. Mc afee Virus scan on my machine picks up nothing...hoping for quick reply - Many thanks ! Lucy x

lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Possible spyware affecting my computer! Help !!

Um, what is your question?

Old 03-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

I'd imagine that is just a Message from the Internet. If the correct Windows Security Patches aren't installed then messages can come through to the computer which set off a system program which brings upa message - like a very basic IP Address based Messenger. The security patches get rid of this flaw.

Just go to http://WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com and install all of the Critical Updates. That should sort it out. Please tell us if it does or doesn't.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:35 AM   #4
Beta Member

Lightbulb spyware - found problems !

Yes as I suspected as suddenly plagued with them, spyware was on my computer. I have run search and destroy and also adware 6. I found 119 things wrong and deleted them. so far much better, except there is still one ad (polyphonic ring tone) ad by a company based in macclesfield - that keeps opening when I try to open blue yonder home page.

Should I try your suggeston on the patch next?

Thanks & best wishes, Lucy
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Guru

Default Re: spyware - found problems !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy
Yes as I suspected as suddenly plagued with them, spyware was on my computer. I have run search and destroy and also adware 6. I found 119 things wrong and deleted them. so far much better, except there is still one ad (polyphonic ring tone) ad by a company based in macclesfield - that keeps opening when I try to open blue yonder home page.

Ah! Well at least it worked! But you can always look on Windows Update anyway - its always useful to download everything on there whatever the state of the Computer is.

Glad to be of help.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy

Try the patch. Also, go to taskmanager and check what programs are running. End anything that looks suspicious.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
Try the patch. Also, go to taskmanager and check what programs are running. End anything that looks suspicious.
Yeah; always best to be safe!