Is it possible to put more then 2tb on a computer...

Yeah, just go and buy external hard drives...Or you can get internal ones, doesnt really matter, but I would go external...You can buy a 1tb drive, or you can go with 4 500gb hard drives...The only reason I would go external, is so you dont have to get a new psu...Because if u get 4 hard drives intenral, u need atleast 500+ watts..I would get 4 western digital 500gb external hard drives if I were you.

...internally or externally? And if so, how?

yeah, i have to agree w/the above ^^ , unless you don't mind updating the PSU. so what are you going to be doing ? using it for a server or something?

Well, that's what I planned on doing, but after I heard that you can't exceed 2tb. Since, I already have 1tb, which is filled, I know I would fill another tb in months. I was thinking about getting a new 5tb or more raid 6 internal setup, but I want to know if it's possible first.

edit: 500gb hard drives are cheap, but cent/gig, 750gb are cheaper and 160gb are cheapest. If I went 5*750gb at $400 a piece, that's about 3.8tb before raid and partioning for about 2 grand. If I went with 24*160 for $54, that's about 3.8tb for 1200, both not including the raid card. But, I need to know the NTFS limit and if there is a BIOS limit for the motherboard. What for? All, the dvd's I buy, I shrink down, and store on my computer, same with my CD's. I have a ton of games, flash animations, web sites I built and a bunch of other documents.

um.. i don't mean to be prying, but how do you manage to fill up 1 tb? and yeah i was gonna say you could hook up a few 750 gb internal hdds, maybe get a 700watt psu while you're at it too.

Well, Maxtor produces a 1.6TB external storage for like $1000 or something for some big stuff.

Also, 720GB HDDs do exist.

To answer kchi55, people do have an extreme load of games, videos, HQ images, big songs...I mean, all their stuff.

lhuser said:
Well, Maxtor produces a 1.6TB external storage for like $1000 or something for some big stuff.

Also, 720GB HDDs do exist.

To answer kchi55, people do have an extreme load of games, videos, HQ images, big songs...I mean, all their stuff.

i dunno lol i'm having trouble filling up my 250 gb hdd. i've only used 91 gb of ir :D

i have trouble filling up my 80 gb.

I think the limit of 2tb is an OS imposed limit, so yes, thats as much your computer can physically have. If you ran windows server edition that might be different. But their is a way around that limit.

If you wanted to you could setup 2tb on your computer internally, externally, however you want. And if your on a network, (home or office), you can setup some network space. I'm not sure if theirs a limit to how much network space you can have (usually you attach the harddrive to your access point). If you told us if you were on a network or not, and if so what router you use, i could instruct you on how to setup a network harddrive. Theoretically depending on how many network drives you want to have you could have an infinite amount of space. Well, not infinite, only as much as your wallet can hold :-D. It's just a matter of using multiple routers.

I think you can only hook one hd up to a router, but if its a 1tb hd thats a total of 3tb usable space. More then i think you'll need :p.

Oh and, add my vote to the "what the crap are you doing with all this space?" campaign.

Back
Top Bottom