Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Possible issue with PSU or GPU

Hey there,

Today I upgraded from a borderline useless pny GT 410 to an asus GTX 760. Everything was running fine for a few hours until I started playing Metro 2033 for a bit then some Planetside when the whole rig just turned off out of nowhere and there was faint smell of burning. I had the GPU clocked up a bit, I'm not sure by how much, I got a bit excited and turned it up in the GPU tweaker . The problem is now that the rig won't turn on at all.

The led on both motherboard and GPU are still on when the PSU is plugged in, solid green no flashing or anything. I tried turning it on with the old GPU and still nothing. I reseated the RAM, processor etc etc still nothing. I then tested the power supply itself with a paperclip and of course nothing happened. I added a fan to it also to see if that would jump it and nothing either. So is the power supply definitely gone or could there be another reason?

I have 2 arctic f12 fans installed.
1 fan that was in the case.
An i5 3570 + heatsink and fan
an asus gtx 760
An agility 3 ssd (64gb) + an oldish hdd (1TB)
The motherboard is an asus P8 H61-MX USB3
A generic hp optical drive
8gb of corsair vengeance

The powersupply itself is a pulse power PPS 600-BR 600w max output

There was also a corsair raptor k50 keyboard and a razer naga attached, could have helped blow psu out if I had overclocked too much.

I'm fairly certain that I stupidly blew the psu out considering the burning smell.. Would appreciate the help was just about to get back into gaming and 3DS MAX again over the holidays.

farrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Possible issue with PSU or GPU

You've probably killed the PSU or something is wrong with the motherboard..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Beta Member

What could've gone wrong with the mobo in regards to my post. The whole rig is only about 3 months old
farrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

It sounds suspiciously like a bad PSU.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Golden Master

I'd recommend getting a good well known PSU like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX75...7341835&sr=1-9
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Sometimes PSU's, even with high wattage, do not provide good amperage (current) for demanding parts. Low amperage could cause blowing up just some parts like IC's or controllers. This however is less likely to happen than to the PSU which is the first on the list.

GPU failure is probably the last in the list because of its high quality.

I suggest testing the PSU at a computer shop.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
xxcobraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrun View Post
Hey there,

Today I upgraded from a borderline useless pny GT 410 to an asus GTX 760. Everything was running fine for a few hours until I started playing Metro 2033 for a bit then some Planetside when the whole rig just turned off out of nowhere and there was faint smell of burning. I had the GPU clocked up a bit, I'm not sure by how much, I got a bit excited and turned it up in the GPU tweaker . The problem is now that the rig won't turn on at all.

The led on both motherboard and GPU are still on when the PSU is plugged in, solid green no flashing or anything. I tried turning it on with the old GPU and still nothing. I reseated the RAM, processor etc etc still nothing. I then tested the power supply itself with a paperclip and of course nothing happened. I added a fan to it also to see if that would jump it and nothing either. So is the power supply definitely gone or could there be another reason?

I have 2 arctic f12 fans installed.
1 fan that was in the case.
An i5 3570 + heatsink and fan
an asus gtx 760
An agility 3 ssd (64gb) + an oldish hdd (1TB)
The motherboard is an asus P8 H61-MX USB3
A generic hp optical drive
8gb of corsair vengeance

The powersupply itself is a pulse power PPS 600-BR 600w max output

There was also a corsair raptor k50 keyboard and a razer naga attached, could have helped blow psu out if I had overclocked too much.

I'm fairly certain that I stupidly blew the psu out considering the burning smell.. Would appreciate the help was just about to get back into gaming and 3DS MAX again over the holidays.

Buy a 750 or 1000 watt psu and rofl you're a funny guy!

If anything borrow a psu 600watt+ try turn it on, if nothing well umm we can soon figure the problem.. and if you do get something turn it back off and go buy ^^

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motherboard, psu, won't power up