Possible GPU problem

scotty9

Beta member
So I built a computer with the following parts,
Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 10.05.24 AM.jpg

After building it, it would get the occasional BSOD as seen here:
432018_10151347539765451_460789997_n.jpg

I ran memtest and it didn't find anything,

Because it was a memory problem i figured it could be GPU,CPU, RAM, or windows.

Because it only bluescreened a bit, i didn't deal with it,

Recently videos would stop working and my Nvidia would say "Kernel Mode Driver 296.1 has stopped working and has recovered", and then the videos would be fine.

Once again i didn't deal with it because it only did this every so often.

Now the screen always looks like this:
IMAG0022.jpg

with white streaks across it and resolution of 800x600.

It says that "You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU"

Two other things to know:

A) The bios startup screen has the same streaks and low res.

B) When I take a print screen of the problem and send it to a working computer,
the picture no longer has the streaks on it and looks like this,
image (1).jpg

image (2).png

I reformatted the drives and reinstalled windows as well as all the other drivers and still the problem remains.

This tells me it can't be the OS.

Does this all sound like a GPU problem, given that there are memory problems with the BSOD, kernel drivers failing, and then the display goes weird.

OR-- is this something else?

If it's doing it in the BIOS before Windows loads, try connecting another monitor, or connect that monitor to a different computer.

the monitor works with another computer and both dvi and hdmi cable connections work on that other computer,

So it is not cable issues, and it isn't the monitor.

Any other thoughts?

I can't really check that because, as seen in my fourth picture, it doesn't think it is connected to an nvidia display.

Which is really weird,

The GPU runs, and the fan is on so it is not like the PSU is not supplying sufficient power.

I don't know,there has got to be a reason,

It sounds like a GPU problem to me. Try removing the GPU, then connecting the VGA to the slot on the motherboard. That should use integrated graphics instead then. If the problem still persists after that, then obviously it isn't a GPU problem, and is something else.

It sounds like a GPU problem to me. Try removing the GPU, then connecting the VGA to the slot on the motherboard. That should use integrated graphics instead then. If the problem still persists after that, then obviously it isn't a GPU problem, and is something else.

This

A Swap test is always the most effective.

Back
Top Bottom