Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default possible bad cpu?

Hi guys,

I need your help, I have a problem with my laptop. When I scan the chkdsk or boot into windows, it take ages for me to get through it. It sound like to me I might have a bad CPU but i'm not too sure. How I can find out if I have a bad CPU?

If I do have a bad CPU, where I can find the CPU that will perfect fit in my laptop?

The name of the CPU i got is Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7450 Socket P (478) and the name of the motherboard is Toshiba KSKAA.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: possible bad cpu?

I have just checking the CPU fan, it is running high as 90% and CPU temperature is 74c. Is that a bad CPU?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
Golden Master

It could be a something with CPU or it could be the HDD.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

It's probably either corruption of your operating system, crap that's running on your machine that should not be, or a hard drive that is failing or is just slow. I doubt your CPU has a problem.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 AM   #5
Golden Master

74c is rather a high temp so I'd suspect cooling problems and as a result your CPU is throttling down to keep from burning up.

Your laptop need a dust out.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0147 View Post
I have just checking the CPU fan, it is running high as 90% and CPU temperature is 74c. Is that a bad CPU?
You seem to have two problems. First is the high CPU usage and second is the high temperature for a Core 2 Duo. As far as I know these guys give no more than 65C at 99-100% in stress tests. Those could cause overall slowdown due to thermal throttling.

As suggested, clean the dust first. I recommend using an air compressor with high air pressure on all the ventilation openings, and better of if you can uncover the CPU fan so at the same time you can check if it is working fine and got cleaned well.

After that do a system files/health clean up. That 90% is not normal if you're at idle and stays like that forever. There could be some unwanted processes like bloatware or viruses running. If you're good enough, see what process(es) eats that much of the CPU and trace it down.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

If your PC boots its not a bad CPU. Most problems are caused by the HDD. How are you getting your temp information?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
If your PC boots its not a bad CPU.
You'd be surprised actually. I've seen a few bad CPUs in my day and they all booted. It would typically manifest in instability that lasted through replacing literally every part but the CPU. My favorite was a core 2 quad Q6600 back when those were the CPU to have that would cause the keyboard to stop responding until a reboot. Unplugging and replugging in the keyboard didn't fix it.

Anyways back on topic. Like others said, that is a very high temp. Blow out the dust and make sure the vents are not covered while in use. CPUs will throttle themselves down in terms of speed to save themselves when they get warm which can lead to an artificially high CPU usage as well (since it's not running as fast, less load means higher utilization).

One of the biggest factors in bootup and chkdsk speed is the health and type of the harddrive itself. If both of these tasks are slow then issues are likely with the drive. In fact, CPU usage is comparatively minimal when running check disk compared to most other applications on your PC. If you're still running slow after blowing out dust then go out and get a hard drive diagnostic utility like seatools and run then. Also uninstall any unnecessary software and make sure you give your PC a scan with your anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

It wasn't uncommon for PGA478 stuff to get hot, and as I recall, the tJunction (Max CPU operating temperature) was 90C, even for something with as low of a TDP as 25w.

I'd be running a SMART scan on the HDD; It's new enough that it's probably supported. SMART was pretty much standard by 2007/2008.

PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility

Which version of Windows are you running?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
You'd be surprised actually.
Very surprised indeed.

Anyways I think you guys should give up on this post. He posted the same in a couple other forums and never answered back.