is this possible?

mini_2003

Daemon Poster
I want to get a new case fan, for the back of my case, but my case only supports 80 or 92 mm fans. Is it possible to buy a stand or something that will let me put a 120mm fan in my case.

thanks

Hmm...I haven't heard of one no. If you wanted to, you could modify your case to allow to hols a 120mm one, though needs precision like proper tools. Its possible though :p

Even if you get a 120mm fan with a stand though, the hole wouldn't be big enough to let all the air through, so some would be wasted.

I'd adivse to modifiy if you were up to it (I've modified my mobile phone to make it look nicer for instance today :p)

Though my case would be hard to modify since mine supports only 2 80mm fans at the back, and its a mesh structure, but i'm sure its possible, though I dont have the right tools

hehe I dont see the point in that at all. That attachment is to make a 120mm fan hole, capbable of holding a 92mm fan... why would anyone want to do that?! hehe

You'd have to somehow find a attachment that would make a 80 or 92mm fan a 120mm fan though again, the hole wouldnt support it. I'd suggest making the hole bigger and then attaching one on

You need to modify your case as Kage said...

Other solution to get better air flow is to
put one fan in the lower front of the case
to get fresh air in...

Yeah. You'll be surprised how cheap some good 120mm fan cases are these days. You can get a good one for about £30-£40. About $50-$60.

These cases can come with about 2 120mm fan slots, and sometimes 3. You should watch out for some.

If you can get hold of the latest CustomPC, it contains loads of reviewed cases :p

Ok physics lesson...

!20mm fans on the average move 100 Cubic Feet per Min.
80mm fans on the average move 40 Cubic Feet per Min.
If you make an adaptor to connect the 120mm to a 80mm opening you get back pressure. The extra 60CFM can't get out and creates a wall of air between the back of the fan and the case. As the fan works harder to move the air the current draw goes up also, making more demands on the power supply. That makes it get hotter and increases the temp inside the psu and the case. It's self defeating.

If you insist in having a 120mm fan I suggest installing it in the roof just aft of the 5 1/4 bays. A cd disk is 120mm in diameter and makes a perfect templet. Cut it out with tinsnips and drill out the screw hole with a 1/8" bit. hang it on the inside and screw it in. Make sure you get a grill for the fan. Couple of dollars spent there will keep your fingers safe.

And you thoght modding a case was just drilling some holes and hanging some pretty lights. Case modding started out with try to figure out how to make the damn things run cooler. Lights and decorations came later...
Think before you act.

The other option here would be to check the rpm of the fan that is presently installed and see if you can replace it with a higher rpm fan of the same size. A lot of case fans only run about 3500 rpm or less. Find one that runs at 5000 rpm and use a controler that fits in a PCI slot to control the rpm thus controling the sound too.

thanks for the suggestions, :)...since i have no time for modding, and it is apparent that putting the 120mm is pointless, i think im just gonna go with a better 92 mm. I have the vantec thermaflow right now, so if you guys have any suggestions on good 92 mm fans, please tell me

thanks

Back
Top Bottom