Pop-ups won't stop

un4given said:
Wow, I'll buy that one... That was a really mature response. Okay, I'm sorry.

And yes, I was j/k with the pirating comment. It was just in jest over how they could charge for it when there's some really good free browsers out.

Apology accepted. Yeah, you know, I've been on here for a while, so, just had to let you know of how it all works and the like. THanks for being mature. I've seen and been in way too many flame wars to get into another one. THanks for being a pal. :D I won't go college literature on you... don't worry... as for others... lol...

Yeah, the mods are mostly super conservative, so basically the only way not to get in trouble is to either praise them or not say anything at all on this forum.

Seti says> You're wrong spank. I can be as loose as any one but when it comes to this or my place I'm a straight arrow. You bend the rules you get a comment. You break them, well you know how that goes.

and back on topic we go! :D
---
anyways first off i do not beleive in paying for a browser, because for the most part their all so close together in peformance and security (other then FF's tabbed browsing and the fact that IE is usually targeted more then Safari Opera and FF because the supet 1337 h4x0r5 target microsoft), that i don't see why you would pay for one when you can get one thats almost identical (and in my opinion a little better) for free? Oh yeah and your problem is most likly adaware/spyware/malware, firefox lets a popup or 2 thru everyonce and a while, but if your getting a lot of them it's spyware. adaware 6.0, spydoctor, and microsoft anti spyware just to name a few good spyware removal programs.

PS: STOP THE HATIN OF THE BROWSER WARS?! WHY CANT WE ALL BE FRIENDS?! (besides firefox pwns the pajeezus out of IE and Opera and Safari :D)

Now to the subject at hand. The poster needs to check the xp built in messenger service. The spammers will use that as a door to your system. When it appears that all other avenues have been fruitless this is the place to look. This will kill the service safely and without touching anything else.>>>
http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

And just so you guys know Opera is now free. Go to thier site and check it out.

Go to control panel then add and remove programs and look to see anything thats suspicious. Sometimes they even name it add distribution or sumthin like that. Deleting that really helps.

I'm really not sure that this will be the messenger service,

especially since they are pop up adverts, the way the user describes them they sound more like html pages rather than dialogue boxes...

I suggest that this is most likely caused by some spyware installed on the computer that is opening browser windows for you rather than a failing in the pop up stopper technology...

Also Opera is now free...

And as for FF... yes, it absolutlu PWned, once, when it was unpopular and obscure, but as I (and plenty of others said), when FF becmoes as popular as IE it'll have a lot more hackers trying to break it, and it'll becom unsecure...

and guess what, -that actually happened, this wek alone I've read two rather damning reports... the first was a symantec report, stating that FF has had more bugs this year than IE...

the second was a bug report, FF has a bug that allows remote code to be excecuted as the root user on Linux systems...

yes, that's right, The terribly secure Firefox, and the built from the ground up secure and great Linux have a bug thats as critical as any microsoft bug so far...

Pwned.

From now on, install FireFox is no longer a decent answer when anyone asks you about problems in IE!!!

Back
Top Bottom