Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Pop up blockers

Lately I am having real problems with pop ups, now generally I use Firefox, but I have the IE tab extension to enable me to access some sites like online banking which still don't like Firefox.

Internet explorer does exist on my system, but is rarely used, except in those cases where even IE tab doesn't work. I have considered uninstalling internet explorer, and I have also tried installing an additional pop up blocker, called stopzilla, it was a huge resource hog and added an additional minute to my start up time.

The pop up has the following address in the title bar is .highbeam.comHigh beam research and is often american express, or some other credit card.

I also use Adware (latest update) and Spybot: Search & Destroy (Fully updated) I also have Zonealarm and Avast running. They are all coming up with zip, does anyone have any suggestions, as my missus is complaining that they are popping up while she is playing Sims 2 and causing it to revert back to desktop. The only suggestion I can give her is to disconnect from the internet before playing, but thats just hassle.

Anyway has any one got any suggestions, whether it be software or how to identify the root cause?

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic
Default Re: Pop up blockers

the pop up blocker cannot block popups like those, it's probably adware. try going to add/remove programs and uninstall whatever looks unfamiliar to you..did you try that? most of the time thats the simple step that may remove it for you

joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepic
the pop up blocker cannot block popups like those, it's probably adware. try going to add/remove programs and uninstall whatever looks unfamiliar to you..did you try that? most of the time thats the simple step that may remove it for you
Yeah I have done that, even hauled out some of the programs that I don't use that often, or have installed lately, its not worked, ahhh hell there it goes again.....

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

sounds like adware and spyware, download spybot and adaware, update them both then run scans
Old 03-25-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
sounds like adware and spyware, download spybot and adaware, update them both then run scans
Its been done already, see my first post, and it comes up with nothing or a few items which I promptly deal with then as soon as it finishes there goes the pop up again

Old 03-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic

well what websites do you usually visit? that may be the cause
joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Try MS Anti-spyware. It solves move problems pretty well.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
BSOD

having same problem dude
King of Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:21 PM   #9
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

Curse Microsoft Anti Spyware it never found any thing on my comp lolbut yet then i ran spybot and adaware and it found stuff

Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote