Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 AM   #21
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Plusnet

AFAIK, all companies use some sort of fair usage policy now, but its at their discression. I know BT normally cap you if you hit 15gig in a month, coz one of my friends got a letter for that. Whereas AOL who im with cap you at 60gig a month, coz i got a letter last month for hitting 71gig lol
__________________

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #22
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Plusnet

Thanks to everybody for their opinions for & against I shall certainly think hard before I decide
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #23
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
AFAIK, all companies use some sort of fair usage policy now, but its at their discression. I know BT normally cap you if you hit 15gig in a month, coz one of my friends got a letter for that. Whereas AOL who im with cap you at 60gig a month, coz i got a letter last month for hitting 71gig lol
yeah but how can it be unlimited then if you are capped
yet they do not have an unlimited package just a 40gb which i would pefer over any fair usage policy cos it tells you straight how much you can download
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
yeah but how can it be unlimited then if you are capped
yet they do not have an unlimited package just a 40gb which i would pefer over any fair usage policy cos it tells you straight how much you can download
Its the way it is. The fair usage policy is their get out clause for people taking the piss and causing problems for the everyday user. Look at it this way, if you were a big ISP and loads of people where complaining that their connection was slow, would you get rid of the big group of people using next to no bandwidth or would you get rid of the few who were taking the piss and using tons? From a business point of view your gonna get rid of the ones using the most bandwidth.

The fair usage policy protects the ISP because they then have a reason to get rid of you.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Its the way it is. The fair usage policy is their get out clause for people taking the piss and causing problems for the everyday user. Look at it this way, if you were a big ISP and loads of people where complaining that their connection was slow, would you get rid of the big group of people using next to no bandwidth or would you get rid of the few who were taking the piss and using tons? From a business point of view your gonna get rid of the ones using the most bandwidth.

The fair usage policy protects the ISP because they then have a reason to get rid of you.
yeah i understand why they use one but i think that instead of saying unlimeted they should just say well you can download 70gb a month that would be much clearer for people cos whats the point in having a limit that you keep hidden from your customers till they cross it is there
my point is they shouldnt be selling the broadband as unlimited they should have to publish there limits cos another thing to consider what is fair usage to one ISP may not be fair to another . so for instance aol may find it fair and be able to cope with 70gb a month but say virgin may only have fair usage at 20gb so if you switch for aol to virgin you could have problems andalso what is fair to one person is not fair to another . so for you its 70gb a month but in our house we only total about 6-10gb although we are on a 2gb plan
see its mislading they way they sell it cos you think you can download as much as you want but in reality you are capped but you dont know the cap . Its like if the government lowered the speed limit but didnt tell anyone and then started fining people for speeding
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
yeah i understand why they use one but i think that instead of saying unlimeted they should just say well you can download 70gb a month that would be much clearer for people cos whats the point in having a limit that you keep hidden from your customers till they cross it is there
my point is they shouldnt be selling the broadband as unlimited they should have to publish there limits cos another thing to consider what is fair usage to one ISP may not be fair to another . so for instance aol may find it fair and be able to cope with 70gb a month but say virgin may only have fair usage at 20gb so if you switch for aol to virgin you could have problems andalso what is fair to one person is not fair to another . so for you its 70gb a month but in our house we only total about 6-10gb although we are on a 2gb plan
see its mislading they way they sell it cos you think you can download as much as you want but in reality you are capped but you dont know the cap . Its like if the government lowered the speed limit but didnt tell anyone and then started fining people for speeding
Take that up with the ISP mate, i dont make the rules lol
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #27
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Take that up with the ISP mate, i dont make the rules lol
yeah but its most of them that do that me i just pay for 2gb then download 6-10gb and ornage dont give a fcuk seeing as they never sent me a letter . all i do is alternate . 1 month stick to 2gb then a few months later do a 10gb
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #28
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
yeah but its most of them that do that me i just pay for 2gb then download 6-10gb and ornage dont give a fcuk seeing as they never sent me a letter . all i do is alternate . 1 month stick to 2gb then a few months later do a 10gb
Wow that sucks...I would use 2 GB in 1 day easily.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #29
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Plusnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Wow that sucks...I would use 2 GB in 1 day easily.
tell me about it . a few months ago i got pissed cos my connection went down so the next day i downloaded the whole sims 2 which is about 3 gigs compressed thought thatl show you but they didnt even bother , they usually send out a sub standard letter

Dear customer
we noticed your donwloads exceede the 2 month allowence you are allowed we are sorry to inform you of this but if you continue the excessive downloads we will have to charge you on a gigabyte basis for each extra gigabyte you download .
Many thanks orange customer services
If you have any enquires about this please email us at Customerservice@orange.co.uk .

I hat that god forsaken letter , never had one but a few friends have i always laugh at them and say ha ha should have told them to fcuk off right now

i have my plan anyway seeing as i have wireless i am just gonna say some dude hi acked my wireless

I never even care what i download , like today i downloaded four albums already of about 350mb
torrents as well they annoy me . I wonder if they count on my downloads
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Plusnet

Ha, I doubled that downloading movies the other night 700 MB each. Games are like 4 gigs now too...
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0