Please help with what gfx cards my PSU can run,i have no clue :(

johnnysti08

Beta member
I have no clue about power supplies so i desperately need help. I want to upgrade my gfx card from a 9500gt to either a Radeon 6850 or a Radeon 7770. My question is can my power supply handle it? I really cant afford at this time to buy a new psu. Its came with my cheap case and its a Codegen Dual-575W. It also has these numbers and words which makes no sense to me. Sorry if i seem like a noob but im really confused lol. I also have a X6 1045T that i plan to overclock to 3.5Ghz soon nad 4Gb DDR3 1333 Ram

AC Input:
Voltage
115V~
230V~

Current
10A
5A

Frequency
50-60Hz

DC=Max Output
Orange 3.3V, 14A
RED +5V, 18A
Yellow +12V, 14A
Purple +SVSB, 2A
Blue -12V, 0.8A

(+3.3V&+5V=120W Max; -12V=9.6W Max. ALL OUTPUT is EXTEND to 575W Max.

Yellow +12V, 14A I believe that is what you want. The main components are powered by the 12v rail. you multiply 12v with its amperage which is 14 and get 168watts. This is an excellent example of cheap and unknown brands with deceitful watt advertising. This is cutting it really close. You might be able to fit a 7770 in there but I don't think you should be overclocking anything.

This is also assuming the power supply has one 6-pin or 6+2pin PCI-E connector for the GPU. I can't find its specifications.

Ok thanks alot, this silly psu doesnt have a 6pin connector, but the card comes with a 6 pin to 2 molex adapter. Also when u say dont overclock do you also mean don't overclock the cpu?

ya, the CPU is also on the 12v rail. you would be pushing your luck even without overclocking anything. plus you may have to account for things such as capacitor aging which would reduce your actual watt limit.

Ok thanks, will the Codegen Mustiff 600W be able to run the 7770 plus overclock? It has
+12-volt1 Rail: 8 amps
+12-volt2 Rail: 14 amps

My friend is giving it too me plus a larger case with 2 case fans for 25US

Last edited:
yes and no. If the power is properly distributed between the two rails then you could overclock. The problem is I have no idea how to tell if the power will be properly distributed (getting the graphics card on rail1 and most of everything else on rail2 should work but like I said I don't know if this is possible). It's ultimately a gamble that doesn't favor you because rail1 has a very low amperage amount.

I would probably rather stick with your original PSU for now and save up about $40-$50 and upgrade the PSU later. This way you can actually get a good one that doesn't have a brand name I have never heard of.

You'd be surprised what constitutes a "quality" power supply.

Antec has some great units that won't burst your bank account wide open, I often use their units at work and in home PC builds.

Corsair and Seasonic are my default "high end" builds, but I've also used Thermaltake and Cooler Master units.

It's never worth buying a cheap power supply. Save up the dough if you have to, but never skimp out on a cheap power supply. The potential for them to ruin everything is just too great. :(

Antec has some nice 530 watt units that'll run the cards you listed just fine.

Back
Top Bottom