Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-04-2004, 06:31 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Please help newbie!

Hi, I appreciate I am new here, but i could really do with some expert advice. My PC was absolutely inundated with viruses, and trojans. I downloaded some spyware software, and it found approx 250 infected files. I deleted them all, and restarted the PC. When I logged back on, I couldn't access any programs. I can't remember off the top of my head what it was telling me, but I can't open hardly any files, and only about three programs within my computer.
I thought I might try and re-install XP, but when I boot up the recovery CD, the link to install, will not allow me to click it.
I hope it's not terminal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
Solid State Member

Send a message via MSN to PCdoctor
Default Re: Please help newbie!

Email me at pcdoctormillennia@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you some help - I need to know as much about this problem as possible.

PCdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

It won't let you click the link? There isn't a mouse in the XP Install CD? Are you using a System Restore CD built by the manufacturer of your PC instead of a XP Install CD?

PCDoctor? If you're the PC Doctor Millenia why do you use Yahoo?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Please help newbie!

get msn its way better

try booting up in safe mode and run antivirus see if thers somin you missed or go bk to an old restore piont maybe its somin you downloaded
are you sure your using the right disc sound rather strange
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
In Runtime

If you really want to get a fresh start, please listen and follow closely...
This will only work if you have another computer in your house, or use a friends computer.With that in mind, let's begin..

Step.1=remove your main hard drive.
Step.2=look at the back of your hard drive to the left of where the IDE cable connects, you should find a set of three jumpers(pin pairs)Master, Slave, and Cable Select.Yours will probably be on Master.
Step.3=Switch the jumper to the slave setting.
Step.4=temporarilly install the HDD in some other computer(house, or friends, doesn't matter which)
Step.5=boot up the computer in which you temporarilly installed the HDD.
Step.6=go to My Computer and select the New HDD(it ussually keeps the same name you gave it, if you did)
Step.7=right click on the newly installed HDD and select format, then format the drive(do not use the quick format option, though it might be tempting)
Step.8=after formating is complete, remove the HDD again and set the jumper back to Master(or whatever it was before you reformatted)
Step.9=mount it back in your computer, connect all cables(correctly)and reboot.
Step.10=after your BIOS boots, you will see a message saying"press any key to continue booting"ignore this(for now) place your XP install disk in the disk tray and reboot again. From there it's pretty easy, just follow the steps on the screen.
deepthroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Good idea; thats the best one yet; its not the easiest but it will certainly do the job. Any is a good idea anyway.