PLease help me slave my hard drive

helpmeslave

Beta member
Hello,
I'd really appreciate some guidance on helping me slave my old hard drive. It came about that i have a corrupt (windows) file on my old hard disk and couldnt log onto windows so I just brought a new hard disk and have installed windows which works fine. I was then hoping to beable to access the old hard drive. I have connected it (sata) and in windows it apears fine as e drive. However when i try to access it, it says it needs formatting. I have looked into the admin tools directory and it says the drive is healthy under status.

What can I do?

Please help as it has personal information on it.

Hmm. . .
You could have simply did a repair install on the old drive that would have fixed up the corrupt file without destroying your files and programs.

Can you access the old drive when booted into safe mode?

Hmm. . .
You could have simply did a repair install on the old drive that would have fixed up the corrupt file without destroying your files and programs.

Can you access the old drive when booted into safe mode?

no it wouldnt let me access it at all. I cant remember how i windows disk onto my old hard drive so i didnt have a disk/version or code of the windows i had so i brought a new one for my new hard drive.

^^That could work. Depending on what all went currupt a checkdisk might get it running too. It only fixes disk-format errors though. Try it though, in command prompt type chkdsk E: \r

Try this...

Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

In the big window click Storage > Disk Management(Local).

Can you right click on the hard drive you want to format and partition? If so format, partition it and see if this works.

If it does then it will be usable.

so if i try some of these methods i should be ok? thanks for your help...do the downloads cost?

hopefully i can get the info off or im in deep trouble with the mrs.

thanks again

Try this...

Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.

In the big window click Storage > Disk Management(Local).

Can you right click on the hard drive you want to format and partition? If so format, partition it and see if this works.

If it does then it will be usable.

I think hes trying to get his files off of it and avoid formatting

Hi People,

I have tried the aboves to no success!!! However I have a new error when opening from windows, it now says....request could not be performed because of a I/O device error.

I dont know if this is good or bad so your help is once again appreciated.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom